Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,918   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Holga
    Images

mounting a holga lens on a copal shutter

In my long journey to find a way of creating holga like images but with shutter control, my most recent idea is to mount just the meniscus lens from a Holga on a Copal 0 shutter.
    So what I need is a lens mount, which the can be threaded into the back of the shutter.
    Has anyone done this? I'm having a difficult time finding these optical mounts, though I think that something from this page is what I might need: http://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage...tgroup_id=1524
    It's all quite complicated however

david

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David,

While it is not something I would even dream about here is my go at it: what about a step-up ring of the correct size if available? The lens from the Holga could probably be fitted to the ring. It seemed like the rings on that website were mainly for microscopes an might be too small.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you don't mind spending way more than it's worth, you can have SK Grimes make a mount adapter for you:

http://www.skgrimes.com/whats-new/20...-nikon-cameras

What kind of camera do you intend to use it on? Don't forget that to "focus" a Holga lens to infinity you'll need to maintain a pretty short flange-to-film distance.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I would think a series type filter holder should do it, you just need to figure out what size by measuring the lens element.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    How about just use cardboard and tape. I have used a Diana lens in a Supermatic shutter, but I put the lens in front of the aperture.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    My question is; what camera are you mounting it to and how do you intend to focus it?
    Knowing what you have in mind will direct the conversation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could use solid metal, screw-in lens caps, or caps for/from filter stacks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-Metal-Screw-in-lens-Cap-Filter-Stack-Strorage-Case-Nikon-Lenses/320956773093?_trksid=p2047675.m1982&_trkparms=aid% 3D333005%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D15538%2 6meid%3D8288963965580181830%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3 D7473%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D220989334514%2

Find a cap with diameter and thread size that fits your shutter, then drill whatever size hole
    in the cap adequate for the Holga lens.
    You could basically epoxy the Holga lens to the metal screw-on filter cap.

Marc

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Holga meniscus on a Horseman VH 6X7

Good question Pen s. & Oren Grad

I have a Horseman VH which is a folding medium format which has limited movements, has a ground glass (or reflex viewer which is fantastic) and takes large format type shutter/lenses.
    So, I think the camera should work quite well with the Holga lens. The coverage will be fine (same format as Holga) and the focal length of 60mm will be fine. My only concern is the whether the aperture of the Polaroid Copal shutter (00 I believe) will be wide enough and not cause vignetting?

Jon, thanks for your practical suggestion. I will definately rig up something with cardboard to try this out first, before sinking money into a threaded adapter and retaining ring. I did hear back from S. K. Grimes and the price for said item would be about $130 (as it's custom).

My thought at this point is to drill a hole through a thin piece of wood or plexi slightly smaller than the diameter of the meniscus. Then mount the lens over the hole with tape or glue and then mount (tape) the substrate over the backside of lens behind the shutter, attempting to have the lens as far inside the shutter barrel as possible (as it's 20 cm deep) to avoid vignetting.
    For those who have not seen it, the Hola lens is only 22.5 mm in diameter. it's quite small. The diameter of the shutter is aprox. 25mm wide open.

Perhaps if this works well enough, I might invest later in the threaded adapter.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

david
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails images.jpeg  

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I took Jon's suggestion today and put together a quick version using cardboard and duct tape. Unfortunately, for the camera to focus at infinity the lens board has to be pulled almost all the way inside the camera body, which takes it off the track, so it makes it difficult to focus. I'm also not sure, but I think the depth of the shutter (aprox. 20mm) is causing vignetting because the lens board is so close to the ground glass. The camera itself is said to take no longer that a 65mm lens.
    So back to the drawing board.
    I'm thinking now that a Mamiya C twin lens series camera might be the ticket? It will take a 55mm lens and it has bellows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin