Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,046   Online: 912

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Image Circle of a Holga DSLR lens

Are the meniscus lenses in the Holga DSLR lenses exactly the same as those in the Holga?
    I'm wondering because the image circle would have to be much smaller for the DSLR in order to get the vignetting and blur effects of the lens, as the sensor is much smaller than the 6x6 area?
    I'm asking because I thought of buying the DSLR Holga lens for just the meniscus lens.
    Anyone know of any other source for the Holga meniscus lenses without having to buy the camera?

cheers
    david

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one of the Holga lenses for Canon mount. It looks to be a standard Holga lens, but as you state it wouldn't vignette on the smaller film areas. They have added a metal strip with small circles running around it at the rear of the lens to give the vignette. It sort of works but also looks a bit fake.
    If you are just after a meniscus lens try looking at those science education supply places - they sell a lot of stuff like that, some of it on ebay. If you are planning to put it in your own barrel they will describe the lens in terms of diameter and focal length so you should be able to be sure it will work as you expect it to.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Thanks Michael. I figured they would use the same lens, adding something to create the vignette makes sense as the cheapest way to create the effect with 35mm. Perhaps they do the same thing with the Holga 35 cameras?
    I have found meniscus lenses on ebay and the Surplus Shed but they are glass. I also have not found the same FL and diameter.
    I'm going to take a chance and order a few DSLR Holga lenses and dismantle the lens. It sounds like they are the same meniscus lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was going to rush in and say you could buy an entire Holga camera for the price of one of the adapted lenses.

Then I noticed your location and shipping from the US might null that advantage. I figured that after removing the lens you would still have the base for a 6X6 pinhole camera. Two birds with one stone sort of thing.

Also noticed that a couple of pictures in your gallery are from Hornby island, my favorite place to "get away from it all" once or twice a year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had one of those Holga lenses for Pentax digital cameras. I tried it on my 35mm KX, and it doesn't cover the entire frame. The OP is correct; the lens is designed for use with something like half of a 35mm frame. Unless you're like me and crop the 35mm frame to square and live with some serious falloff. Looks great in lith.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin