Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,703   Online: 1135

Shooter
    35mm

Instax films and crossing the border - X-rays

Hey all

Is there any problem with taking Instax film or Polaroid film through X-ray machines?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no more than any other film. If it is the asa 3000 stuff you might want to ask for a hand check, but most film is safe in those things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My generic rule is, if in doubt, just ask for it to get passed around. I just did that on my way to and back from Singapore. I only had 7 rolls of 35mm in a clear plastic bag this time, a few RVP50, an APX100, and a few Tmax+TriX 400.

Unfortunately, when I left home it was a 6pm Friday plane, the line to get through security was a few hundred people long and the girl at the xray machine couldn't leave her post for 5 minutes to get it passed around, so I had to wait a while. They asked nothing except to open the black canisters (most were clear canisters).
    Going from there through the International Flight security, the guy (after it had been passed around) pointed to the sign on the machine that said "film safe" and asked if I high any high-speed (which I did, the Tmax 400 and Tri-X 400 I planned to push to 1600 or maybe 3200). Only then I realised that i'd left one of those ei1600 rolls in my EOS 3 (and that got scanned).

Coming back from Singapore they were a lot more used to dealing with film, they just took the bag without a word, wiped everything and put the cloth in an explosives-tester, when it came up negative (no pun) they just gave me the bag and I was on my way.

So does that sounds like more hassle than you can put up with? I didn't mind the wait, I always leave heaps of time and I've travelled a lot so I'm never stressed. Whether it fogs the film or not I don't know (it will really depend on speed), even if it does it's more a case of whether you can live more with the fog or hassle (I chose hassle, even if there's no chance of fog on my RVP50 rolls)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Instax film is ISO 600, so its fine going through once. If you are going to make multiple stops and pass through multiple times, I would request a hand inspection. I've never had any problem getting a hand inspection.

Fuji Instant FP-3000b should DEFINITELY be hand inspected at each checkpoint.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post

The X-ray sensitivity for a given effective speed of b&w diffusion transver reversal materials is less than is the case with standard b&w films.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the advice. I've been through customs once with film but not with Instax film so wasn't sure about the procedure.

Instax film comes in those boxes and are prepackaged in that silver wrapper. Should I be taking them out to hand inspect? Just don't want any fogged film when I reach my destination and don't want to hassle of arguing over to swab with the wrapper or not.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As with all film at airports, reasonable-speed film can tolerate a few passes through the hand-baggage machines, but the much stronger machines used on checked baggage will probably fog the film. The FAA does not even equivocate about the checked-baggage scanners and instructs passengers not to check film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    Instax film is ISO 600, so its fine going through once. If you are going to make multiple stops and pass through multiple times, I would request a hand inspection. I've never had any problem getting a hand inspection.

Small correction, Fuji Instax film is ISO 800.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I took instax film with me to Nepal. I had it x-rayed 6 times in total and it is fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    I took instax film with me to Nepal. I had it x-rayed 6 times in total and it is fine.
    Just to help update with more info, I also took a mixture of both Instax mini and wide to Kenya passing xray machines more than 6 times using those old xray machines that doesn't have those "film safe" word on it and all the instax were fine.

Though I haven't tried with the FP3000-b packfilm yet. Has anyone tried it before? I've actually sent Delta 3200 through Xray multiple times before without any problems so I figure Packfilm of ISO 3000 shouldn't have trouble as well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin