Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,769   Posts: 1,516,492   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Portraiture work

I've always used my 250 for portraiture (with FP-3000B), and I've often got some good results. I like the softness and very analog feel of the pictures; and the convenience of the camera itself (I use a close-up lens). I often wondered however if this was a recommended choice for B&W portraiture or if I should, at least for the sake of learning, consider another camera for portraiture exclusively (studio work, mostly head shots) on either Fuji, Polaroid or Impossible film; not excluding larger formats of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Next logical step would be Polaroid 600 SE or Mamiya, but it is expensive camera. But it can take medium format film as well. It is up to you to decide is it worth a 800-1000 $. Form another side I (and many more) paid more for Leica .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 250 seems like a fine camera, but maybe try and find one of these?
    Check out my website!

Minolta X-700, Yashica T4. Bronica ETR, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you thought of the Polaroid film back on a view or press camera??
    I have been known to use a Speed Graphic with the old Polaroid back. works for me...

Shooter
    35mm
    I have reviewed all those alternatives, what I have found out so far:

* Konica Instant Press seems a little better than its FP-1 counterpart (better lens, and better build), maybe built for journalism more than anything else, but that's quite alright, great camera; and probably somewhat straightforward to service.

* The 600SE (or its mamiya counterpart) is a fantastic setup for portraiture, except that the 127mm would capture a little more than head+shoulders, considering you can't focus closer than 1.5 meters on this. Maybe a better alternative would be a Mamiya RZ with a polaroid back?

* I thought of using a Linhof 4x5 with a polaroid back, but shouldn't I just go 8x10 instead, if so, which camera could handle impossible 8x10 with acceptable results?

Thank you,
    Jerome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen a lot of Suicide Girl shoots where the photographer used a 600SE or the Mamiya equivalent. The results are superb. +1 for that if you can find one at a reasonable price.
    Check out my website!

Shooter
    35mm
    What would be the advantages of a Polaroid 600SE over a mamiya RZ with a polaroid back?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Image size. The Polaroid 600SE will shoot a full sized Polaroid, as it is 6x9 by nature, while a Mamiya RZ67 kit will have a noticeable black border around a smaller image. The Mamiya RZ67 is also quite heavy and very large in size overall.
    Check out my website!

Shooter
    35mm
    I understand.

In the case of the RZ67, the polaroid holder was mostly to test exposure before using film. It was meant to be used with disposable polaroid film.

As a closing shot, any arguments for 600SE vs. Universal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The case is the same for me with my Bronica and any other 6x4.5 system. As for choosing between those two systems, I looked at this link here for a comparison and it looks like the Mamiya gives you more options. I guess the Polaroid 600SE is a simplified version made if you just want to shoot Polaroid photos, as the medium format film back is supposedly going for an upwards of ~$300, while the same back is only ~$50 for the Mamiya system. That being, I'm assuming, because the backs are interchangeable with the Mamiya 23 backs. The price is the same for the Polaroid back on a Mamiya Universal (~$50).
    Check out my website!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin