Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,608   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    'Serious Photography with Instant Film' sounds like an oxymoron to me. Back when I worked on instant photographic systems we used to say that 'an excellent instant photo is one you wished you had taken on real film'.
    Funny -- that's how I feel about digital now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    'Serious Photography with Instant Film' sounds like an oxymoron to me. Back when I worked on instant photographic systems we used to say that 'an excellent instant photo is one you wished you had taken on real film'.
    All I can say is that the Instax film my kids shoot with is VERY Impressive. Sharp as a tack, with gorgeous colors. I just wish the images were a bit larger and that Fuji made a monochrome pack to go with the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The link I posted earlier is to a really interesting (analog) photoblog run by an American living in Tokyo. He does the kind of street photography exhibitions I want to do and one of his recent directions is a lot of Instax work.

Look around on that blog for his links to it, goes back about a month or so. I think it's an entirely valid pursuit...and further to the Polaroid 360 camera I mentioned, IIRC it was the one Patti Smith used for many years in her journeys.
    Those images were part of a big exhibition during the CONTACT festival in Toronto: http://www.ago.net/patti-smith-camera-solo/

Best of luck! I'd love to explore the camera mall in Shanghai with you, and especially to wander the streets with my own camera. I've had a lot of fun (and financial hardship) from my trips to Wukesong in Beijing.

Shanghai's a fascinating place. You might be interested in a photobook by a journalist named Howard French, called "Disappearing Shanghai". And of course, a wonderful book by Justin Guariglia named Planet Shanghai.

Best of luck...
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    All I can say is that the Instax film my kids shoot with is VERY Impressive. Sharp as a tack, with gorgeous colors. I just wish the images were a bit larger and that Fuji made a monochrome pack to go with the camera.
    My intention in making the comment about instant photography wasn't meant to 'knock' instant images (after all, as I've mentioned here several times, I spent 7 years working on the Kodak Instant Film that Instax film is based) and I know it's possible to make great consumer photo images with Instax film. Rather, it was designed to refer to the 'Serious Photography' issue.

I consider instant photography to be in the 'point and shoot' digital image category; not intended for 'Serious Photography'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like I have 3 choices for instant cameras.

1. The new Instax Neo. Pros: finally a serious camera from Fujifilm. Cons: Small images. No monochrome.
    2. Instax 210. Pros: Nice sized photographs. Great color. Cons: A joke of a camera, no monochrome.
    3. A Polaroid Land camera: Pros: both color and monochrome. Good image size. Cons: Old camera, hard to find in China, questionable reliability.

Tough call.....each option has an appeal to me.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Instax 210: A joke of a camera
    What do you mean by this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Let's see: It's dopey looking, extremely fragile, flash is on 100% of the time, and has very limited available shutter speeds.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the look, but that of course is a matter of taste. The Instax Mini cameras are not different technically except for the latest model.

What I miss is a SLR that takes Fuji instant films. The Polaroid SX-70 SLR made a virtue of the necessity of its mirror.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-07-2013 at 05:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Everyone is wishing the same thing.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Poor lens and features yes, but a joke? No, It's just its a camera that is hard to master at least until you've learned all its kinks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin