Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,251   Online: 957

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nice cheap way to get into pack film and SX70 film?

I'd like to try both out
    Easy to find batteries and no modifications would be best, just something inexpensive I can play with

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Almost all of the Polaroid Land Cameras minus the 250 can be had for $5-30 used if you look at flea markets, eBay, garage sales, and shopgoodwill.com.

If you want one that doesn't require mods, you'll have to get something like the Land Camera Colorpack series which use AA batteries. Although, honestly the mod to put in 3x AAA batteries isn't that difficult.

You can still find the batteries for the older units, they are around $10 USD each I believe. Which is about what you'd pay for the batteries and holder to convert it anyway.

The film itself, you can either go with expired Polaroid packfilms and hope for packs that work, or buy yourself some Fujifilm FP-100c which is under $10 USD currently. Sadly their wonderful BW film has been discontinued and has gone way up in price, but it's worth trying just the same... FP-3000b. You might also be able to find some of their even older discontinued FP-100b film as well.

SX70 however is a different story. The cameras are coveted and expensive if they work typically. Most of the ones I've seen have gone for $50-in the hundreds for a refurbished one. And film for these either comes from The Impossible Project which is pricy at $25 for 8 shots, or looking for expired packs and hoping for the best.

Most of the pack and Polaroid expired films go for $20-30 a pack of 10 shots in usually questionable condition. My experience has been that if you get a pack with 1-2 good shots in it, you are lucky. All of the ones I've purchased expired have been dried up chemicals or just don't distribute the chemicals well and you end up with poorly developed washed out images.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Sonar seems to be less expensive than the magnum opus regular SX70? Also, any one the prontos/one steps any good? I'd prefer the SLR>Sonar>nothing at all

Shooter
    35mm
    I personally own the Land Camera 101, 320, Colorpack IV and ProCamera. I like the 101 and 320 because of the rangefinder for focusing over guessing the feet to subject distance. So if you want a Land Camera, I'd suggest getting one with the rangefinder. I believe some of them have a Zeiss Ikon rangefinder and tend to run more money. Both of mine are Polaroid's own, one folds into the body for the cover to fit over, the other is attached to the top and doesn't budge. Focusing is pretty easy, like any rangefinder, you just slide the little lever/buttons on the top at the sides left and right while looking into the rangefinder hole until you get alignment, then use the larger viewfinder hole to line up your shot. Easy peasy.

My other Polaroid is a One Step 600 that I got online for $20 with a pack of film. Ironically, it was the least "messed up" expired Polaroid film I've come across since for the camera. It's a nice little camera and does the trick, can shoot Impossible Project films or expired 600 series films etc.

I've only owned one SX-70 and sadly it did not work and was in bad shape when I got it so I have no experience with these minus what I've read in my search for an affordable working unit. There's a great list out there of all the assorted Polaroids and what each model is compared to the ones before it that gives good details from unit to unit that helps. But honestly the best way is to look at the photo forums and places like Flickr for images, see what images you see that you like, see what films they're using, look around on here as well.

I think the SX70 users are pretty passionate about the model and features of their cameras and would be able to give a much better idea of what model and features exactly you need to look for. I'm still just looking for an affordable working unit myself.

Still on the search for the SX-70 that works... Good luck! Just keep your eye out, they will come along at some point when you least expect it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Also, if you do have your mind set on the SX-70, don't be afraid to pick up accessories and film as you run across them before you get the camera. Finding film and close up lenses, for example, ahead of purchasing the camera is a nice way to be ready for when you do get the camera you want. And you can do your research to pick the right one for you.

And, if you want a way to get into the film they are, there are other cameras that shoot the same film as the SX-70 that are much cheaper to get you going as well.

I personally would get a Land Camera first to get into the Polaroid world. You can get film cheaply new, they are wonderful for double exposures, and once you get going, you will learn a lot about what features and functions you like and don't like and have a better idea on what to buy for the more expensive models.

Here's some info to digest on the models and such:
    http://www.ebay.com/gds/Polaroid-SX-...3449903/g.html

And a discussion on which models to get and avoid:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/polaroi...7623093563687/

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alienmeatsack View Post
    Almost all of the Polaroid Land Cameras minus the 250 can be had for $5-30 used if you look at flea markets, eBay, garage sales, and shopgoodwill.com.
    Over here folding packfilm-cameras are rarities at fleamarket, spooled film cameras I even have never come across.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good to know, AgX. I wonder why that is? Here, I run across the Land Cameras all the time and the 600 series Polaroids even more so.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmm, hasselblad Polaroid backs are cheap...

Shooter
    35mm
    None of the packfilm backs are cheap in the US that I can find. Or I'd probably have found one for use with my Bronica and adapted one for use with some of my other medium format cameras.

Most of what I was finding online was $100-200 or more for my Bronica or the generic backs that one can use with Graflok cameras etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alienmeatsack View Post
    None of the packfilm backs are cheap in the US that I can find. Or I'd probably have found one for use with my Bronica and adapted one for use with some of my other medium format cameras.

Most of what I was finding online was $100-200 or more for my Bronica or the generic backs that one can use with Graflok cameras etc.
    Define cheap? I found a RZ67 back for $39 on ebay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin