Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,552   Posts: 1,573,122   Online: 747

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Filter Mounting for Non-Filter Cameras?

Many "Toy" and other inexpensive cameras were designed without a built in way to mount filters on them.

Does anyone have a DIY system that enables them to mount filters across many different non-filter cameras?

I've been making/using different DIY rigs depending on the camera, but I was wondering if someone had a "single system" that works for them on all/many cameras.

From box cameras to 1960s point-and-shoots.

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My first choice is the clip-on Voss gel holder with two barn doors.

Second choice is the Lee Gel Snap.

Third choice: Gaffer's tape.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could also glue/melt/gaffer tape a step up ring to the front of the plastic lens tube. Then you'll have the threads needed for normal round filters.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make a narrow cylinder, add three threads and three plastic screws and glue this to an empty filter-ring of your most common size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Series filters and adapters. Not DIY but quite effective.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wish I remember where I saw it, but there's an article (probably on the lomography site) about using magnetic strips. Magnetic strips can be bought at craft stores, cut and glue them around your lens area (if there's space- works well on box cameras). Then take a filter gel or whatever material you're using for the filter, and mount magnetic strips so it can line up and "stick" in front of the lens. It's not a permanent modification to your camera, and you can make multiple interchangeable filters as well. If you settle on a standardized setup, might even be able to use it on a variety of cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For dianas/holgas, I've used a Kodak poly filter holder ( from the darkroom) before. Just tighten the 3 screws, and make sure the opening is facing up.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Bluetack works every time.

Bests,

david.
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BobClack View Post
    Many "Toy" and other inexpensive cameras were designed without a built in way to mount filters on them.

Does anyone have a DIY system that enables them to mount filters across many different non-filter cameras?

I've been making/using different DIY rigs depending on the camera, but I was wondering if someone had a "single system" that works for them on all/many cameras.

From box cameras to 1960s point-and-shoots.

Thanks in advance!
    Most had optional push on hoods and filters.
    LTM Elmars on Leicas were up market they had clamp on filters and hoods.

Today many people take photos with reversed hoods on their Dcameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I didn't want to pay for a factory filter for my Retina !b because it would have cost more than I paid for the camera. A push on series adapter would have worked, but I would have had to take it on and off every time I folded the camera up. So I simply glued on a series V yellow filter onto the front of the lens w/ rubber cement. I'm selling the camera now and it was very easy to get the filter off, and the dried rubber cement, which is pretty flexible, simply came off w/ my fingernail. But it was enough adhesive to securely hold the filter on when I was shooting it, and I was able to close the camera fully w/ the filter on it. Silicone caulk in a tube would have worked the same way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin