Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,527   Posts: 1,543,946   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Why are Polaroids always thrown in with toy cameras?

The title of the threads says it all. Polaroids have been used by pros pretty much since the beginning of Polaroid, many famous, not so famous and downright infamous artists have worked with Polaroid materials and cameras yet it seems as if Polaroid and instant photography is not being taken seriously by a lot of amateurs and some pros and internet fora and I wonder why that is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's hard to work w/ a medium that is not archival. Not sure if that's your answer though. A lot of people, including Warhol, used Polaroids, but as proofs, not as a final image. I suspect that the people marketing instant cameras and film play up the fun aspect these days, and it is fun. But the use of non archival mediums is problematic for serious artists/photographers, for obvious reasons.

Shooter
    35mm

Let me count the reasons

There are a lot of Polaroid formats and many people feel nobody makes film for their camera -- rightly or wrongly.
    There is a feeling in the pro photography community -- rightly or wrongly -- that some famed Polaroid "artists" are pulling a con and don't deserve the praise. There are people who feel that digital has taken the place of Polaroid, rightly or wrongly. The Polaroid company went belly up, making a lot of people unhappy. Some Polaroid cameras were cheap and people do not value cheaply made items for the most part. Most pro photographers used Polaroid -- if at all -- for test shots and never thought Polaroid was a "serious"camera -- rightly or wrongly. Polaroid cameras ain't Leicas. Some Polaroid models were awkward-looking and -shooting. Polaroids don't get no respect, rightly or wrongly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    they shouldn't be considered toys,
    but they are fun,
    i wish i had a joy cam !
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Polaroid back from NPC for my Mamiya RB67 medium format film camera. Although not a Polaroid camera, the film was (is?) well, Fuji anyway. Back when, these backs were used all the time by pros for testing shots, lighting, exposure, composition, etc, before switching to film backs and committing to shooting film shots.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    There are a lot of Polaroid formats and many people feel nobody makes film for their camera -- rightly or wrongly.
    There is a feeling in the pro photography community -- rightly or wrongly -- that some famed Polaroid "artists" are pulling a con and don't deserve the praise. There are people who feel that digital has taken the place of Polaroid, rightly or wrongly. The Polaroid company went belly up, making a lot of people unhappy. Some Polaroid cameras were cheap and people do not value cheaply made items for the most part. Most pro photographers used Polaroid -- if at all -- for test shots and never thought Polaroid was a "serious"camera -- rightly or wrongly. Polaroid cameras ain't Leicas. Some Polaroid models were awkward-looking and -shooting. Polaroids don't get no respect, rightly or wrongly.
    But none of these points are a reason to call them toys.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In addition, the term toy camera is no standard term in Germany.

It makes me think of those nonfunctional cameras for small children. Or those working Fisher-Price models.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The idea of separating the two into their own subforums came up a few years ago...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary- Toy: something that an adult buys or uses for enjoyment or entertainment
    Maybe all of our cameras are toys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In The Polaroid Book (Taschen) there are around 300 Polaroid photographs by various artists, including Elliott Erwitt, Robert Frank, Ralph Gibson, Mapplethorpe, Aaron Siskind and many, many others.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/cata...aroid_book.htm

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin