Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,872   Online: 1154

Thread: SX-70 repair?

Shooter
    Multi Format

SX-70 repair?

Greetings,
    Long time, no post... figured I may as well make it a good one!

My beloved 1976 SX-70 stopped working... depressed the shutter release and nothing happened. Tried a different film pack, even an external shutter release, and nothing.
    I searched for SX-70 repair and came across PolaPros, but when I contacted them, they told me that they weren't repairing cameras and would be taking their site down.
    Who else repairs these fine machines? I could just get a new one, but as I rescued this one, I refuse to give up that easily.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Take care,
    Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    These guys do a great job. They've refurbed about a dozen for me:
    http://aperturetremont.com/

By the way, a frequent SX-70 problem is corroded battery contacts. Spray some contact cleaner on the battery contacts in the film compartment. Scrub with a toothbrush, spray some more and let it soak overnight, then try. Make sure you are using fresh film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    http://aperturetremont.com/services/

I used these guys about six months ago. Quick service and great communication. Got my old SX-70's recovered as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty sure they have closed. There is mention of that on the main page. I hear it was because he moved out of town (not lack of business). Hopefully he will do business via the web. Can't hurt to email him.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, that place no longer exists. Such a shame. I grew up in Cleveland, and it was the only place I know of in the area for analog photography (Dodd still sells film, but last time I was in there, the selection was quite poor...at least compared to Central here in Chicago). I'd still email the guy though. If he won't repair it he might be able to point you to someone who could.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Go ahead and email them. They did some SX-70s for me in December, I'm sure they are still doing them by mail.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yeah, they were closing the physical store the last time I dealt with them but said they would maintain a web business doing the repairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the help! I'll try contact cleaner first, and if that doesn't work, send those guys an email.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the help! I got some contact cleaner and gave it a good spray and everything seems to work great! I'll keep that link handy for future reference. Thanks again!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Glad to hear. Don't forget to rinse off that toothbrush before you use it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin