Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,374   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Holga with copal shutter question

Hi all,
    I want to use a copal shutter with my Holga cfn, trying to fit it between body and lens, I was wondering what kind of copal shutter should I get, Copal O or 1 ? Any experiences with this mods? Thanks for any advice

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's some info. Click on the individual shutter model links to get outside dimensions.

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new...standardcopals

#00 shutters, by the way, are about 45-48mm in diameter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not just put the shutter in front of the lens? That's much less trouble than burying it in the body behind the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    Here's some info. Click on the individual shutter model links to get outside dimensions.

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new...standardcopals

#00 shutters, by the way, are about 45-48mm in diameter.

thank you Dan Daniel, according to this i think a copal 0 it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Why not just put the shutter in front of the lens? That's much less trouble than burying it in the body behind the lens.
    I had already thought of this, it is very simple and certainly I'll give it a try, but maybe is annoying to have the shutter on the front lens when you put away it in your pocket

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bimaneg View Post
    I had already thought of this, it is very simple and certainly I'll give it a try, but maybe is annoying to have the shutter on the front lens when you put away it in your pocket
    I had no idea a 120 film Holga would fit in a pocket. But then, the shutter I hang in front of a lens is a Compound #5 and the lens is a 900/10 Apo Saphir; nothing pocketable there.

More seriously, make a slip-on adapter that will hold the shutter.

Re shutters, and no kidding here, the most likely shutter is probably a Polaroid MP-4 (so badged) shutter. Copal Press #1, timed speeds 1 sec to 1/125 sec, and usually quite inexpensive because it has no diaphragm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    just found this https://www.flickr.com/photos/ewzerep/8266370118/
    an idea as you suggested

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. That's a cock-and-shoot Copal #1, timed speeds 1 sec to 1/400. Not inexpensive.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    placing the shutter in front of the lens is easy to do indeed, but it's a question of sufficient diameter and the shutter price increases with the diameter. a #0 shutter has only 24mm of max opening, a #1 30mm and a #3 45mm. a #00 shutter has only 17.5mm max opening and will hardly be sufficient whereas it would be fine behind the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, er, ah, the Holga CFN 120 has a 60/8 lens. Its exit pupil is approximately 8 mm in diameter. The same is true of its entrance pupil. A #00's maximum aperture is considerably larger, won't be a problem in in front of or behind the lens.

Mounting a shutter inside the cone will create light tightness and accessibility problems. Major problems.

Mounting the lens on a shutter on the cone will add extension, will greatly reduce the lens' far focus limit.

Putting a shutter in front of the lens is the way to go.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all guys =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin