Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,623   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Toy cameras? More then Holga, Diana or Debonair?

Hello!

I wondering if there are more then Holga, Diana or other Lomography store cameras out there. I mean, when I search for toy cameras, all i get up on google are Holgas.
    I know there must be other cameras from lets say china, like the Debonair. Would be fun to find something that is different, something undiscovered. Do anyone know where I can find different toy cameras? More then those common cameras that people often talk about?

// Noyart
    Last edited by noyart; 05-02-2014 at 09:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A stroll at the local fleamarket.
    (There so far I only came across two Lomography-likes and one Diana, but some other cameras of that league.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Superheadz makes some different toy cameras, a couple build-em yourselfs and one called a slim devil that might be discontinued.

Shooter
    35mm

missed

Could it be you missed the Leica ad?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are plenty of cameras that could fall into 'toy' range.

You have the plastic soviet/eastern european cameras that were built during the cold war that present a 'toy' look that you'll find Lomography Promotes.
    The cheap 1980s point and shoots could fall into the toy category.
    Through the 50s and 60s there are piles and piles of oddball cameras produced that are considered toys now.
    Not to mention the holga/diana/debonair clones and lookalikes out there.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you can find kodak and other brownie-style cameras at any thrift store that are easy to load with 120 film on their (usually included) 620 spool. If you must, buy two for the spools, but a lot of those things will let you load a 120 spool into the feed side, tolerances not being a big factor in their manufacture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My personal favorite for toy cameras is the Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim. Don't buy one on ebay, people pay ridiculously for them. Keep your eyes open at garage sales and one will pop up for $1. They're super cheaply made, so be careful. But it has a plastic 22mm lens, which produces some very cool color patterns if the sun is in your scene. Load it up with some film you don't trust for serious photography, and have fun. I always tend to come back with a couple keepers.

Coming in a close 2nd for me is the old Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. There are some tutorials out there about flipping the lens. This gives you a softly focused center, with it falling off to blurs toward the edges. They should be around for cheap if you keep looking, I've never paid more than $5 for one.

Both of these cameras have fixed shutter/apertures, so it helps to write down what kind of film you have in them and choose your scenes accordingly. I think the Vivitar was around 1/100s at f/11, with the Kodak having 1/30 at f/16. Of course, due to age and physical condition these can change from example to example.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc2edh View Post
    Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim.
    ULTRA WIIIIIDE AND SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM!
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my collection I have a Barbie camera, a Coke camera, a Velveeta camera, and a three-lens one. This is only a start with novelty cameras. I plan to add a couple of Fisher-Price cameras too, along with a Mick-O-Matic, and some others. The world is full of them (and other things too).
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    The cheap 1980s point and shoots could fall into the toy category.
    I've certainly heard them referred to as such.

Also, I wouldn't overlook the 110 promotional cameras like this!
    Pentax KX | Nikon L35AF | Ricoh AF-5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin