Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 773

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Polaroid: Impossible Project Protective Film?

So I've read that new Impossible Project "Protective" film for Polaroid cameras is not light sensitive once ejected and I've noticed that the Impossible Project Frog Tongue is discontinued, which makes sense if the film is not light sensitive upon ejection. But why, then, does the Impossible Project site still say that it's film, new film purchased now, is light sensitive when ejected. Frustrating discrepancy. Should I continue to search for a Frog Tongue, or is it not needed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience, their current color film is still slightly light sensitive. I think it makes sense if the frog tongue is gone because the current film doesn't seem to be sensitive enough for it. If you take the picture and rather swiftly protect it from light for the first half of the development, it seems to be fine. I have had pretty good luck...That being said...I know that one of their e-mails mentioned an updated film in the works and I went to buy some film tonight and found that their color is out of stock- so I'm hoping the new film is coming soon. I have a friend that tried a pack about a month ago when they sold a "test" batch and it was pretty good. It developed much faster than the current stuff. Good luck!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    In my experience, their current color film is still slightly light sensitive. I think it makes sense if the frog tongue is gone because the current film doesn't seem to be sensitive enough for it. If you take the picture and rather swiftly protect it from light for the first half of the development, it seems to be fine. I have had pretty good luck...That being said...I know that one of their e-mails mentioned an updated film in the works and I went to buy some film tonight and found that their color is out of stock- so I'm hoping the new film is coming soon. I have a friend that tried a pack about a month ago when they sold a "test" batch and it was pretty good. It developed much faster than the current stuff. Good luck!
    Well that's good news, in that I've just purchased an SX70 and would value not having to worry about light when the film ejects. Not sure whether to spend the $30 for the sole Frog Tongue I could find online. I wonder whether black & white film is less sensitive, even in its current chemistry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too bad about the Frog Tongue being discontinued. Aside from the light shielding aspects, I've always liked the way it catches and holds the prints when they're ejected.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Rust View Post
    Too bad about the Frog Tongue being discontinued. Aside from the light shielding aspects, I've always liked the way it catches and holds the prints when they're ejected.
    I found that the black bag that Ilford 5x7 paper came in fit perfectly over the ejection port of my Polaroid 600. The picture ejected into the bag and never saw the light of day. I guess there are ways to improvise.

To the OP, the new film will probably live up to its claim. Every previous version of IP film required some degree of initial protection from ambient light, so it stands to reason that that advice will be all over their website.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin