Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,076   Online: 899

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

orientation of lens in a Kodak 2A Box camera

I picked this camera up yesterday in a few pieces ansd the lens and holder were out of the camera but no scratches or other damage was seen on the lens. I figured out how the lens fits into a metal holder with tabs on three arms which fit into another holder which screwa into the wood shutter assembly. What I'm having trouble with is that the lens has a round side and a flat side. Which side goes towards the front of the camera?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi doug

not sure if this is your camera or not
    http://www.brownie-camera.com/56.shtml

the box cameras i have had used the plano convex ( or whatever it was )
    with the flat part out, and the curved part towards the film ...
    very much like reinhold's wollaston meniscus lens ...

nice camera ! i love box cameras
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    35mm

rubber room

Anyone who messes with box cameras in this day and age is a candidate for a rubber room. You may make my reservation at any time. I am amazed by these low tech wonders. I have a couple that are made out of cardboard and are in amazing shape considering they have been on the planet for 90-plus years. I think I have a Kodak Rainbow 2M. Can't shed any light on the shutter except mine still works.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

orientation of lens in a Kodak 2A Box camera

Hello John: The one I have is the model "C" and once again you have saved my bacon and now I can put this camera back together and get some use of it. On another topic, I'm about to try coating some plexiglass that I have used some 600 grit on one side to try and replicate Kodak Translite film. One question: once I pour the emulsion onto the plexi and even it out with a coating rod, do I place it on a chilling block like the one used in coating film base with emulsion or do I let it air dry and hope that the ground surface will have enough "tooth" to allow the emulsion to adhere to the plexi?

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi doug

yes the chilly block will help make you happy plates ..

glad i could help !

john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin