Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,263   Posts: 1,680,656   Online: 1031

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

A Shot From My Diana Clone (Stellar)

Here's one of the shots from the first roll I ran through my "new" Diana clone (named a Stellar). It was developed in TD-16, and I fitted a yellow filter to the lens. The camera is a lot smaller and flimsier than my Holga, but has more features, and I like the 4x4 configuration. The viewfinder tends to cut things off at the top though.

Unlike the Holga, this one is actually sharp at infinity. Too sharp. Back to the Holga, this one takes photos that are too much like a "real" camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	660.6 KB 
ID:	97263

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't give up on Dianas. I have about 10 of them. They all deliver different results, some better, some worse (depending on what you're going for). I have about 10 Holgas, too, but prefer the Dianas to do what plastic cameras do best.
    I also find toning them to be quite satisfying, emphasizing the old-time look of the poor optics:

Name:	diana12.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	97265

Shooter
    Multi Format
    so, did you have a question?

You could try whacking the enlarger in the middle of an exposure...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Don't give up on Dianas. I have about 10 of them. They all deliver different results, some better, some worse (depending on what you're going for). I have about 10 Holgas, too, but prefer the Dianas to do what plastic cameras do best.
    I also find toning them to be quite satisfying, emphasizing the old-time look of the poor optics:

Name:	diana12.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	97265
    I would submit that the "old time look of poor optics" should really read "Modern look of poor optics."

I've seen images shot with 100-year old cameras/lenses that would knock your socks off. The Holga/Diana is a relatively modern invention, as is the acceptance as "artistic" of the lousy images they produce. And, yes, I've shot and loved them too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lousy is in the eye of the beholder...
    I never said old optics couldn't be superb. I have a few oldies myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sold my Diana F+ and got original Diana; F+ was too sharp for me. But from time to time I always buy some "new" cheap cameras - last was some 6x9 folder with nettar lens: wide open is very soft, and stopped to f16 is sharp. It is for sure fun to use cameras that have little or no control

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Beautiful, beautiful shot eddie. Good stuff. And you're right, my two cameras do deliver different results. Sample variation in plastic cameras, just imagine!

No question for you summi that I would put here.
    Last edited by momus; 11-10-2014 at 06:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin