Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,286   Posts: 1,535,271   Online: 874

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Holgamods.com modified Holga

I've been getting familiar with my modified Holga (and Holgography in general) and I'm very pleased with it.

I'm getting to the point where I can set exposures pretty reliably with it's two apertures and one shutter speed. I tested the shutter and it's a bit inconsistant but it's actually, on average, closer to 1/90th sec than 1/100th.

I make use of the cable release a lot. The urinal picture in my gallery required *32* shutter releases.

I haven't had occaision to use the bulb feature yet.

I'm finding the most challenging aspect of the camera to be focusing. I intend to do some controlled tests so I know at just what distance each of the focus icons actually represent.

I removed the metal clips, forgoing a neck strap. I wanted to do a velcro seal for both security and control of light leaks. I did a variation of the velcro mod that I found online and used self-adhesive velcro on the body...using the hook side. For the loop side I bought non-adhesive velcro from a fabric store.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, Oh. Some holgaphiles will say you are cheating by eliminating the light leaks. Personally I like the Holga for the soft edges-sharp center plastic lens, vignetting at 6x6 and unpredictability of the exposure. I also eliminate extraneous light leaks. They seem novel at first, but after a few rolls of film, you tend to get tired of the same overexposed white spot(s) or streak(s) on every single print you make.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You intend do to controlled test shots?!?!? Blasphemy!

Actually, I taped my Holga a lot to get rid of the light leaks. I even eliminated most of them! Mine has huge vignetting, but that's about what I was hoping for. The bulb feature is great, btw! I do night shots a lot at the moment and am getting pretty good at guessing. It's fun, isn't it.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you modify it yourself or buy from holgamods.com?

I'm thinking of buying one of them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post

What was the title of this thread again?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are slightly handy you can do the mods yourself. Buy a pair. I have one that is basically stock except for eliminating the light leaks. The other I enlarged the aperture, removed the lens stop screw so I can focus a little closer to objects, and modified the film mask to use for 6x6 exposures and keep the film relatively flat. Relative is a good word to use when discussing toy cameras.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post

Randy is great to deal with, I bought one of him. It got stuck in customs because they couldn't believe it was that cheap - I had to fax them a couple of documents to prove it's not a "real" camera. Wasn't his fault, he had provided the necessary information, he just had done too good a job.

Antje

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would recommend Randy wholeheartly, he does a great job and is great to work with.
    I buy all of my Holgas from him.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking of getting a Holga again. I used to have two of them, unmodified, and neither had serious light leaks. I had so much fun with them that my 4x5 and Hasselblad were rotting on the shelf, so after I while I tossed the Holgas--yes, I know, scandalous!

Now I can't decide whether to get a modified or straight Holga. I don't mind some minor light leaks (so I'll tape the two holes near the top of the inside) and put some kind of flap over the exposure counter. But as to the rest--I don't know. Closer focusing and a better bulb and tripod hole might be useful, but wouldn't get used that much. Mostly I used the Holgas for outdoor shots.

I'm trying to get an idea of how many of you have mod's and whether you would bother to do that again.

Pat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I really like the bulb mode of my modified Holga. For that alone I'd do that again. Randy promises not to tamper with the light leaks, and trust me, he doesn't. Mine leaked like hell. It's also nice to have two slightly different, actually working apertures.

Antje

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin