Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,690   Online: 735

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Linhof Technikas, and most press or metal-body view cameras...

Loved your point about NO IRONY, though.

Cheers,

R.
    Speed/Crown graphics also come to mind, Rapid-Omega RF as well have some kind of handle. But what I like about the Brownie is that you carry it like a lunch box on your first day of school.

I think the 90s just drove irony into the ground, suddenly one could not like an old country song without listening at it at the seventh degree. But there's no such thing as the second degree. If you have a pleasure in something, it's genuine, and calling it "ironic" or so is just dishonest.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Bear in mind that in the UK it is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN to draw any connection between Brownies and photography; you will be thrown in prison as a suspected paedophile and your house will be spray-painted by readers of the red-tops.
    After reading the first part of your sentence, I thought you would be referring the age old spacial ingredient added to brownies. So I have heard.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Why not?
    A lot of Toy Camera enthusiasts, I have noticed, are getting to be quite the bourgois snobs when it comes to the Toy Camera pedigree. I have this feeling they want their narrow definition of a Toy Camera be either a Holga or Diana only. And certainly not any Lomo - the blaphemous infidels.

I don't know why, but I'd fight back! Let the revolution begin....

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One reason they may balk at 'Brownie' is that Kodak used it for such a WIDE range of cameras and formats. Some of them were quite nice, others were, well, made of cardboard with meniscus lenses.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    If you have a pleasure in something, it's genuine, and calling it "ironic" or so is just dishonest.
    Absolutely! But there are so many snivelling wimps who won't admit to depraved tastes.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    After reading the first part of your sentence, I thought you would be referring the age old spacial ingredient added to brownies. So I have heard.

Regards, Art.

Add special ingredients to Brownies and you're looking at long jail terms, depending on (a) which special ingredients (b) which brownies (or Brownies) and (c) the means of introducing said ingredients into brownies/Brownies.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well this thread is joyfully spinning out of control! Must be eating too many special brownies.

Let me throw this into the works. A Kodak Brownie camera is something like a Singer 20 sewing machine; a cute little "baby" machine intended originally for children that happens to do its job quite well. Not so much of a toy but more like a CTID (child training/indoctrination device.) Any thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80 View Post
    Well this thread is joyfully spinning out of control! Must be eating too many special brownies.

Let me throw this into the works. A Kodak Brownie camera is something like a Singer 20 sewing machine; a cute little "baby" machine intended originally for children that happens to do its job quite well. Not so much of a toy but more like a CTID (child training/indoctrination device.) Any thoughts?
    Only that CTID is a wonderful abbreviation I'd not previously encountered.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You know, said like that, Brownies are probably closer to the usual meaning of "toy" than the Holgas &co.

Kids who grew up in the middle of the 20th century are much more likely to have had Brownies as toys than are kids who grew up more recently like me (hey, I had a computer!). Lots of kids also had Mickey cameras, cereal box leicas, or whatnot.

I'm not sure how much the modern "toy camera" are actually used by children in a learning/play context. Does anybody's 8-years old have a Holga?

I think I would use "lo-fi cameras" as an umbrella term for the class of real toys, Brownies, "toy" camera, chinese/russian crapboxes, Polaroid instant, oatmeal pinholes, etc, if "lo-fi" wasn't already coopted to sickness by the music industry.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    A Kodak Brownie camera is something like a Singer 20 sewing machine;
    If this is the small Singer I'm thinking of (the very primative hand-crank one), the Singer 20 is far under the relative capability of the Brownie.

My first very own camera was a Brownie Starflash. Although it was quite plain, I always thought of it as a reasonable quality camera and definitely not a toy.

I think of it more as the 1960 equivalent of the point-and-shoot. It had a decent lens, although fixed focus and I'm sure plastic, and as long as you were outside or had a flashbulb in it, and held it steady, you always got a clean and very clear photo. I remember thinking of it as a definite step up from the other kids' box cameras.

I also have a great respect for Singer machines. I was lucky enough to learn on my mom's Singer 221 and my grandmother's console Singer. Those hand-cranked ones were nothing at all like the real ones. (My current machine is a cheaper Simplicity, it really does all of what I need.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin