Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,557   Online: 1309

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    What I like about my Brownie Hawkeyes is specifically that it does not have the aura of a toy camera: no exotic third world manufacturing in a crappy factory, no light leaks, no magical randomness, in other words, NO IRONY. I like it for what it is. I'm not even mocking secretly the manufacturer.

It gives me beautifully soft and color-aberratted (what's the opposite of color-corrected?) results on slide film, the kind that arrests the eye because it's not common anymore. It frees me from the Tyranny of Correct Exposure just like a Holga but did so for chump change, and I can use flashbulbs with it.

It's a classic design, it works as a self-defense tool, has a waist-level finder for that classic Brownie Pose, or for carrying it at waist level in my lowered hand, aimed and operated from a glance into the viewfinder.

And it has a handle! How many cameras have an integrated handle beside box cameras? Polaroid cameras, and that's about it.
    A salute to the Brownie Hawkeye--my very first camera. I STILL have photos I took with it as a child. I certainly did not think of it as a toy when I owned one, but neither would I exclude anyone using one from membership in the Toy Camera Club.

Pat

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    At 3-5 seconds handheld, I'm not sure a Nikon would have done much better.
    I think it'd look a lot more sharp with my Nikon actually. There's not much "jiggle" as i were if you look at the car taillights and such.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PatTrent View Post
    A salute to the Brownie Hawkeye--my very first camera. I STILL have photos I took with it as a child. I certainly did not think of it as a toy when I owned one, but neither would I exclude anyone using one from membership in the Toy Camera Club.

Pat
    X2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin