Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,630   Posts: 1,623,062   Online: 977

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Krappy Kamera Compeition

http://www.sohophoto.com/

Show on to the end of March in NYC. Winners of the annual competition shown. POed that I missed this again this year.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was interesting but I found it very erratic, the selections seemed to be picked almost at random. There was excellent work in the show, but there was also a lot of crap. They display all of the work that didn't get in in an area upstairs, and I thought a lot of it was stronger than the majority of what was in the proper show. It would have been easier to figure out if I didn't care for the whole show, because then at least it would have been consistent and it would have been easier to write off as a difference in aesthetic opinion, but both the photographer I went with and I found it all over the place with little apparent rhyme or reason.

Disclaimer: I submitted work to the show that wasn't selected. I genuinely don't care all that much whether I get into shows or not as it's just one person's opinion either way, but that I wasn't selected is a fact. Do with it what you will.

As a side note, they apparently consider pinholes to be toy cameras, despite the fact that none of their material says so (in fact they repeatedly say that the quality of the lens is the determining factor as to whether work qualifies, and a pinhole is not a lens). This is something I would have liked to know both as someone who paid a fair amount of money to submit work and as a viewer of the exhibit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    nicolai, the whole paid entry thing is causing quite a fuss amongst the art wonk crowd these days. I've got a friend at FSU who is doing her PhD dissertation on that very topic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    I've got a friend at FSU who is doing her PhD dissertation on that very topic.
    Is there any chance she would share her thoughts on this matter?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the pinhole = low-tech = toy business, it looks like this event would benefit from the involvement of somone that knows their evacutory orifice from a small cavity in on the surface of the earth.

The inclusion of everything is troubling. If I'm paying an entry fee, I expect qualified jurors.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed. Not only is there an entry fee, but they require prints, so there's the expense of that as well. Can easily get up to $100 to enter by the time all is said and done. A bit steep for ill-defined guidelines and an incomprehensible juror.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These shows are designed to make money. They are selling the illusion for wannabe artists that they are in a gallery and they make quite a bit of money doing so. Think about it. If 300 people enter spending $50 apiece, thats $15000 for doing nothing other than a little organizing/jurying. I really think these are a scam. If your work is really good enough for a gallery, you don't have to pay to get in one. You are better off spending that money on film or paper or whatever. My 2¢.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed. As a general rule, I don't enter anything with an entry fee. This year, I swallowed my bile and made two exceptions: one for this, because as a primarily pinhole/toy/homemade lens/experimental shooter, I thought it would be fun to be in a show with other people I know in one way or another (the online toy/pinhole/experimental community is pretty small). The other was for Review Santa Fe. I doubt I'll give money to either again.

Your point about $15000 for doing nothing other than a little organizing/jurying is particularly devastating to SoHo Photo, because for that kind of money, there's really no excuse for doing as loopy a job as they did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guess I'll be the "Johnny come very lately" to this party. As a business owner, I am not offended by a gallery sponsoring a competition and charging an entry fee and featuring an exhibit of the work presented. This gallery has been around since 1971 in what must be some very expersive real estate. I would not want to take on their expense of keeping the doors open each month. I say that photographers (that would be you and me) need to support those businesses that support the things in which we have an interest. In this case it happens to be a photo gallery, although it could be our local photo shop, school, art supply store, processor, etc. I've entered and exhibited in the last two Krappy Kamera Competitions and have sent in my entries for KK XI. I would not be surprised to be selected for exhibition this year, however regardless of my inclusion, I'm glad SOHO has provided the venue for this show and hope they continue to prosper. If they and others don't, neither will we. Bill Barber

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin