Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 962

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Gary.

His results are interesting. I have no doubts about his conclusions. It's just that his conclusions should not be extrapolated to any other Holga than the one the tested.

My results only pertain to my Holga and none other.

A scotch tape and loupe test, using the text on the end of a lit light bulb as a focusing target and a tape measure took me all of five minutes. If someone wants to know the focusing characteristics of their Holga, I'd recommend running one's own test.

I've yet to verify my results with a roll of film so I'd say the jury is still out on my method.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Frankly, I don't understand the "don't learn how your Holga actually works" mindset but I wouldn't wind myself up to criticize those that hold that view.

For me, the lens does things, the shutter does things and knowing what they do helps me get more from them. How I would be better off not knowing how to focus a certain lens elludes me.
    I find it amusing: "let's be different and use Holga's ... but you have to use them the same way we do, otherwise you're being conventional" which goes along with "I like Holga's because you never know what the photos will look like (except that the way we use 'em they'll always look pretty much the same)".

I like odd effects and unconventional gear, I just like to be able to use their attributes (or "qualities") to acheive the image I see in my head.

Nathan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cool! I've always wondered how accurate the focusing on my holga was too. Didn't know about the ground glass/scotch tape trick. I'll have to try it out. This will help me figure out the angle of the viewfinder compared to the angle of the captured image better too.
    Derrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sienarot View Post
    This will help me figure out the angle of the viewfinder compared to the angle of the captured image better too.
    This occured to me while I was doing it. I haven't really looked into that or decided how I'd make the best, practical use of such a comparison.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't done any formal tests, but the viewfinder seems to cover about 60% of what the lens does. If I'm trying to accurately frame something, I compose in the VF, mentally add 40% to each edge, and then move the camera until the lens is where the viewfinder was.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin