Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,396   Online: 1003

Thread: Holgaroidology

Shooter
    Pinhole

Holgaroidology

Buying the ready to roll Polaroid back for the Holga seemed disproportionately costly to a friend. I agreed and ran a Super Shooter or similar thru a band saw & amputated the Polaroid back.

After a few attempts to visualize how it could possibly be made to mount at the proper focal plane for the existing precision optical lens :O), I concluded
    either I hacked the wrong model of camera or Polaroid actually made a custom back for the Holga...kind of hard to believe, but that would explain the cost.

I then rationalized that we could possibly do it for macro work with a new implied working focal range. Then I decided next time the shutter craps out, PINHolgaroid would be the easiest solution to this headache, as the focal length/image distance would be less critical and a pinhole could be selected afterward to match.

Has anyone looked at the Holgaroid back closely enough to tell if it's custom for Holga or do I need to fire up the bandsaw again and visit another flea market?

Incidentally, the bandsaw worked much better than the last one I did with a Dremel cutoff wheel (right tool for the job makes things easier, eh?)
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The one I have is designed for Holgas. Mine takes type 87 and 89 film (the older stuff). I think Freestyle sells a newer version that uses a newer version of film.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out Paul Beard's DIY foamcore Holgaroid back, it's pretty sweet.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks both.
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    For anyone who cares...

I removed the lens/shutter ass'y from a Holga 120N, and measured the front-back depth for spacing the lens from the amputated Polaroid camera back.

I measured 1.272" in a couple places (back may not be flat, and there is no pressure plate...I probably have to review this & alter it later after I decide where the film in a Polaroid pack would actually be.

Murray
    Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin