Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,046   Online: 921

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Your favorite Polaroid camera?

Hey guys,

What are some of your favorite polaroid cameras?

I'm thinking about purchasing one as a "fun" camera, where I can take out and grab snap shots while hanging out with friends. Not sure how fancy polaroids get, but I don't need anything too fancy. Small and compact would definitely be a plus.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The SX-70 is a classic but the real original film is expensive and not so easily found. A new blend of film is available for it though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Fintan. I guess my best bet is to buy one of the "newer" polaroid cameras, but the vintage look/feel is very... cool

Are there "vintage" polaroid cameras that take more "modern" or readily available film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    SX-70 does take modern 600 film but you need a x6 ND filter put on it (and use a piece of paper to help slide the film pack in but it's not hard to do). Sonar Onestep SX-70 would probably be good for snaps as that autofocuses. I've only really played with one of the polaroid cameras I have... have a 103 sitting around waiting for me to purchase some 100-type film for it to gobble up

I was going to suggest a Fuji Instax but then I noticed you're in the US and I suppose Instax is a bit too modern anyway... Instax film can be bought a tad bit more cheaply than most polaroid film usually, but the camera itself is a bulky monster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jason. The SX70 is a great camera and you can use type 600 film if you remove the small raised plastic areas at the top front of the cartridge. You need to do this to get the cartridge into the camera and once loaded you need to use a 2X ND filter over the lens due to the extra speed of the 600 film. If that's too much hassle just buy a 600 series camera, they're still great fun, although not an SLR like the SX70..... nowhere as cool looking either!
    A couple of words and photos here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whoops... I meant 2 stops of ND, that would be a ND4 then.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i never had one, but i always wanted a joycam.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i am not a guy, but my favorite is the sx70, it is also considered one of the top design in the world. Think it ranks about numnber 51, or 52.

if your not interested in manipulation of the film then the type 600 should do the job for you after you make the adjustments others have recommended.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, the SX70 looks awesome! It folds up so nicely.. Thanks for the link Tony!

Sorry Ann! Though not a guy, your posts have been very helpful to me! Thanks!

Akki14, that is very useful information. It does seem like a hassle to set up the SX70. But, it just seems so darn cool!

Any other suggestions? The SX70 seems to be a unanimous winner!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Polaroid 680. These use the 600 film that you can buy anywhere. Probably quite similar to the SX-70 in operation.
    The 680 has sonar focusing & exposure compensation. I have heard that a lot of people are after them & they are fetching high prices on ebay so probably best to look around garage sales, charity shops etc.
    I like mine, it folds flat so easy to carry, simple to use & gives square pics with the muted colour look.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin