Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,262   Online: 848

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Want more "control" with Polaroid cameras!

I am having a BLAST with my newly acquired Polaroid Model 440 land camera. However, I am now wanting "more." More control. Are there any polaroid cameras that offer more control in terms of setting a shutter speed, aperture, etc?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but they are expensive. Specifically, there are the 180, 185, 190, and 195. See http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    as an aside, you can use any 35mm camera of your choice and shoot slides, and then print them using any one of the polaroid slide printers (daylab, vivitar slide printer, polaprinter,etc.) i make prints all the time, even not for the sake of image manipulations

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yikes, they are expensive! I'll have to stick with my model 440

sfadam, thanks for the suggestion. I had no idea that you could do that!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Daylabs are quite pricey too. I loved the polaroid transfers a university student showed us back in high school but they had a daylab and i never worked out the specifics of it until now and now that I have a type-100 film camera, I hope to get around to trying it out sometime soon.

You could have fun tricking the sensor with various neutral density filters either over the sensor only or over the sensor and the lens. I was trying that with my husband's Instax camera and with my sx-70 when I have 600type film in it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Jason,

Also 600SE, NPC 195 -- both serious money again. Or put a Polaroid back on any number of other cameras: I adapted one for my Graflex quarter-plate.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Roger, I thought about using a MF body and a polaroid adaptor, but I'd really like to make use of the entire image area of a polaroid. Almost all the samples I've seen only use a portion of the polaroid negative.

LF is just too big for my tastes (for now ).

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    yeah, daylabs can be expensive. but they give you a lot of control over the print.
    polaprinters usually go for $30-50 and vivitar slide printers from $40-70. which is a little odd, because the polaprinter has adjustments for contrast and exposure, while the vivitar printer only has exposure control. both have slide holders that allow you to insert filters for color balancing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Roger, I thought about using a MF body and a polaroid adaptor, but I'd really like to make use of the entire image area of a polaroid. Almost all the samples I've seen only use a portion of the polaroid negative.

LF is just too big for my tastes (for now ).
    That's the good bit about a quarter-plate camera -- Polaroid IS quarter-plate. Or you could look for an old 9x12cm camera designed for single metal dark-slides, either baseboard or doppel-klapp. These are usually much smaller than 4x5 inch.

It's also possible to to make a body to go on the front of an adapter and stick a front-cell-focusing lens on there. All you need is a simple pyramid. I actually made one out of cardboard, but thin sheet alloy or plywood would be better. Then stick a front-cell-focusing lens (in a shutter) from an old RF folder on it: surprisingly many 105s will cover quarter-plate Polaroid. All you need then is a wire-frame viewfinder.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or you could get a cheap pack film camera, remove the front and add a lens from something else. Like this:

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin