Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,455   Online: 1148

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Polaroid emulsion lift/transfers...

Are polaroid emulsion lifts and transfers the same thing or different? I've been googling and researching on this and it seems like there are 2 very different processes.

Basically I want to lift the emulsion off the polaroid and place it on a different surface, whether it be paper or some other surface...

Will this work with hot water and removing the emulsion and placing it on a surface of choice?

Thanks,

Jason

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    They're using the same film (Type 59) but different processes. The emulsion lift requires basically boiling off the emulsion from the print and placing it on another base (usually a watercolor stock). The transfer discards the print and uses the chemistry on the backing paper pressed against another base (again usually watercolor stock, but can be put onto wood, cloth, etc.). Polaroid used to have a good description of these processes on their website, but I haven't checked lately.

Good luck!

S
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can read more at the Creative area of the Polaroid website.

I use both methods, though I preference doing transfers to doing lifts. Of course, it can depend upon which Polaroid film you use, since some work better with lifts, and some work bettter (or only) with transfers.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Shmoo, I think I would prefer the lift process as well (for the time being).

Gordon, thanks for the link!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin