Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,041   Online: 899

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holga confusion

Get two. They break!

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, I just ordered Randy's usual Modified Holga, plus flocking and velcro and the customized 6x6 frame. My main interest is in the two apertures and close focusing, so the other features are just "frosting on the cake" and cost very little to add. Can't wait to try it out. First roll will be FP4+ in Rodinal 1:100, Semi-stand (1 hour, 2 inversions initially and one inverstion at the 30-minute mark). The next roll will probably be Tri-X with a slight push in HC110-B (I usually use dilution H, but for pushing, it will be B instead.) I hope they come out nice and vignetted and softly focused. Otherwise I will have to resort to some Vaseline and/or a too-small lens hood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Ok, if my "cloudy" aperture is really f13 and not f8, then my smaller "sunny" aperture (as modified by Randy) can't be f11, as claimed. It must be smaller than f13...so what two apertures does a Holgamods Hoga really have?
    It can, there's a little ring behind the lens that you can pop out, which makes it about f/10 (details here). IIRC Randy pops that out and glues a washer to the aperture arm, thus making it actually effective.

The hole in the metal shutter plate is f/8 (well, f/7.9, but whatever), so depending on how Randy drills the plastic and what size washer he uses, f/8 and f/11 are probably as right on as you're going to get with a Holga.

Though, even if they are, Holga have some really funky stuff going on, because f/8 at ~1/100 on a sunny day should completely blow out ISO 400 film, but it's just about right. I did some tests on the lens--info and discussion here--but found nothing that made any sense to me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PatTrent View Post
    First roll will be FP4+ in Rodinal 1:100, Semi-stand (1 hour, 2 inversions initially and one inverstion at the 30-minute mark). The next roll will probably be Tri-X with a slight push in HC110-B (I usually use dilution H, but for pushing, it will be B instead.)
    You may find the FP4+ too slow, depending on what you're shooting. I generally shoot Tri-X (400), sometimes HP5+, and always give it an extra minute or two in the developer. For color, I shoot Portra 400 and ask for a one-stop push. YMMV, but that's what works for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tchamber View Post
    You may find the FP4+ too slow, depending on what you're shooting. I generally shoot Tri-X (400), sometimes HP5+, and always give it an extra minute or two in the developer. For color, I shoot Portra 400 and ask for a one-stop push. YMMV, but that's what works for me.
    I hear you. Well, I guess I'll just have to experiment then. I'd like to use up the FP4+ before standardizing on Tri-X, so I'll test a roll and then not be surprised if I find I have to push the FP4+. I have a couple rolls of Fuji 400HG to test also. Can't wait for the Holga to get here. The order confirmation message said it might be 10-14 days due to a back log.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PatTrent View Post
    I hear you. Well, I guess I'll just have to experiment then. I'd like to use up the FP4+ before standardizing on Tri-X, so I'll test a roll and then not be surprised if I find I have to push the FP4+. I have a couple rolls of Fuji 400HG to test also. Can't wait for the Holga to get here. The order confirmation message said it might be 10-14 days due to a back log.
    If you want to use slower film, I think Randy will modify the apertures to give you two wider ones than are standard with the camera. If that's an important consideration you might try to contact him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tchamber View Post
    If you want to use slower film, I think Randy will modify the apertures to give you two wider ones than are standard with the camera. If that's an important consideration you might try to contact him.
    Thanks for that info. I think I'll have him do that on the next Holga. Then I can use the one I've already ordered for Tri-X and the second one for FP4+. What fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hurray! My modified Holga came today and it's now loaded with Tri-X so I can take some photos later this afternoon when it cools off outside (too hot right now--might even melt the camera, LOL).

I attached a Vivitar 283 flash and it actually fired with the Holga's shutter!!! Amazing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin