Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,427   Online: 1135

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I got one this weekend and enjoyed it. My two year-old grand daughter is fascinated by it and quickly learned how to operate it. There ya go! So simple a two year-old can do it!

Hey Ian, How'd you do that overexposure thing? Looks pretty cool!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I got one for my son for his fourth birthday last year. He has taken some pretty good pictures with it - has learned to hold it level, fill the frame with his subject, etc. I think a polaroid is a great fist camera for a young child. Nothing else gives them that instant feedback + a print they can hold. If you want to see a great reaction, take a polaroid of a young child - say 2 - 3 years old, immediately hand them the print, and watch what happens when the image starts to form before their eyes.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Hey Ian, How'd you do that overexposure thing? Looks pretty cool!
    Thanks Alex. It's quite straightforward: the built in flash triggers a pair of strobes which overwhelm the 600 (I think it's somewhere between 2 and 3 stops overexposed). The image takes a long time to appear, and as much as 30 minutes to develop completely. I've tried to get the same results with polaroid sheet film but unfortunately that didn't work. I don't know whether it works with the new 600 film either.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Leake View Post
    the built in flash triggers a pair of strobes which overwhelm the 600 (I think it's somewhere between 2 and 3 stops overexposed).
    Ahhhh! Thanks for sharing that Ian. Most interesting. Unfortunately for me, its out of my little photo box of the world. I must say though, its a quite stunning effect.

It never ceases to amaze me how creative people get with Polaroids, both cameras and film. Its truly astounding.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that I've seen some samples I'm once again interested I have one place I can look in: downtown there's a shop that sells Holgas, LOMOs, etc. They may still stock them.

However a pack of 600 film costs around $12 for 10 shots - that's expensive! (Not to mention used SX-70s selling for $200+ :rolleyes Even APS isn't that expensive for a roll ...
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ...but APS is a crap format $12 is cheap, a single pack of 600 is £11 here. The trick is to buy the 4 pack from Argos (yeah i didn't realise they'd sell that either, for UK people in the know) for £35 and then it's a little cheaper.
    You're in Japan, though, get an instax instead? Film for instax is a little cheaper. If you don't have much money you have to consider your polaroid camera more like a large format camera and value every single image.
    I don't understand the sx-70s selling for sillymoney, I heard(might be a rumour) the photographers's gallery in London was selling a few refurbished models for £100-£200. I am so very lucky I found mine in a charity shop for £10. So. So. Very. Lucky.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    ...If you don't have much money you have to consider your polaroid camera more like a large format camera and value every single image...
    Yes, and everything is relative. £1 a shot is cheaper than £2 per sheet of 10x8 HP5+, which is cheaper than £6 per sheet of 14x11 HP5+ or £6 for a roll of Astia 120 (inc. lab costs).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found one I went to the shop I mentioned in a previous post and they had one last "dead stock" Polaroid 600 model (http://www.polaroid.com/service/prod...bmLocale=en_US, unopened and unused. I took a picture with it last night and it works great. It's a real kick to watch the photo develop right in front of your eyes.

A pack of Polaroid 600 film was ¥1500 or $13.50, so I'm going to treat it very carefully. One question though: after the 10 shots are up, what are you supposed to do with the film cartridge, chuck it? Can the batteries be taken out and used in other appliances or are they proprietary?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also a question about Polaroid photos: how long do they last? Do they fade under fluorescent lamps or sunlight? Should they be kept in the dark like Kodachromes?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    http://www.chemie.unibas.ch/~holder/sxbeginn.html
    "Polaroid integral films contain a 6 Volt- battery, that usually has a lot of power left when the film is finished. You can convert two clothes-pins to contact-clips and power a radio or toys for hours, until the battery is empty.
    Polarity:
    If you look at the plain cardboard side, the two holes are up and the contact tabs downward, the tab on the left is the positive one."
    However I've never been clever enough to do this (and don't really use much stuff in the way of batterypower) so I just have a rather silly stockpile of empty packs now because I can't bare to throw them out either. They're in limbo world in my land of junk :rolleyes:

Not sure if they'll fade or not, I tend to keep them all loose in a shoebox type box. I would think the whole chemicals still in contact with film thing is worse for it than sunshine. My mom took a polaroid of me as a kid and that hasn't faired too well over the years (though it was overexposed to begin with) even though it wasn't exposed to light.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin