Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,382   Online: 795

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Agfa Clack type1

So, rather than bite the bullet and purchase a Holga, I have decided that an Agfa Clack is the right way to go for me. Basically, I want a complete departure from being in total control of the image making process I am used to with my other large and medium format equipment. I am looking for something that is more of a crap shoot and potentially with some characteristic flaws, but still with an image quality that is reasonably good. The Clack from what I hear sounds like it will fit the bill, and very intriguing with its meniscus lens and curved film plane. However, am not really sure on what to expect.

Has anyone on this forum played with one, and how is the overall picture quality? Does it have the Holgaesque vignetted and softer corners? Or does the curved film plane negate some of that light fall off?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew-

I've been shooting one since '85 or thereabouts. It is quite sharp and contrasty. It's good until you get into the corners when it softens; there is very minimal light falloff. I put a K2 filter behind the lens and a permanently mounted (read: glued) lens shade. The format is excellent especially compared to 6x6.

I've had several images made with this camera rejected from 'toy' camera competitions when the learned jury members said it could not be a toy camera which created the image.

Your mileage may vary.

Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love mine. I have 2 of them for some reason. It likes slower film. I think, if you believe everything on the innernet, designed for the film of that era. Something like 50ASA speed so the shutter is kinda slow. 400 speed film on it gets a bit over exposed. I've had really good negs with it with 100 speed film.

Shooter
    Multi Format

agfa clack type 1

My experience is similar to Russ... the results were too "normal" for my liking! Diana beats them all hands down!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ilford Sportis work quite well with the newer emulsions (HP5 for example) with less vignetting on "older" type emulsions (much less vignetting on Fomapan 400)
    Still pretty sharp, nice glass lens, usually no lightleaks, metal body, however scores a "9/20" on the current theoretical toy camera scale vaguely being developed on toycameras.com's forum.

The vignetting sort of comes and goes, a bit like my holgas. In brighter light it's less severe than indoors or in shade.

Also I think the "slow film" theory is horribly flawed. It's still an aperture of f/8-f/10 and usually an option for f/16. The standard toy camera rules apply... 100 (or possibly 50) film for super sunny days, 400 for winter/shade, and, well, the two black & white shots I've included were on Delta 3200.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hooverbuilding01apug.jpg   hooverbuilding05apug.jpg   11apug.jpg  
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin