Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,674   Online: 1195

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee J View Post
    What bothers me most about the article the OP linked to is the whole concept of making an image look like s**t, not the fact that it is done using digital techniques.
    For me, it was the "make your crappy image 'artistic' by layering it with content-free crap."

This is not unique to digital by any means. It see it at every camera club containing some guy with inane sunset shots made with an $8000 lens. (I would even go so far as to include 95% of all "real" Holga pix I' see on sites like pnet and flickr into the same category)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee J View Post
    How is digital photography any less real than analog photography? The whole concept of "fake photography" is a pleonasm. Any photograph, be it digital or not, is a representation of a reality, ergo fake. I'm not sticking up for either here, I'm just trying to make a point.

What bothers me most about the article the OP linked to is the whole concept of making an image look like s**t, not the fact that it is done using digital techniques.

It depends on how you look at it. On its own, as a medium, it isn't fake. OTOH if I took an image file and laid a watercolor filter on it, and said it was a watercolor, nobody would really take it seriously. Same thing here, but the subtext gets lost in the whole dead horse beating, where some persons can't make a distinction between content and process, and it comes from both directions. The two things are simply different mediums, with a common heritage. The fact that one seeks to imitate the other is very much like the era when photography as a whole attempted to imitate paintings. Nothing new here, except the sheer volume of drivel, marketing and otherwise, associated with the infant medium.

I will be happy for digital when it really matures as a medium, and stops hiding its process behind pretentious and affected terms like "giclee", "digital darkroom" and other silly things of that ilk, designed to give it a legitimacy that it should (and can) earn on its own merits.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 11-18-2007 at 06:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You've got to love the absurdity of attaching a digital back which costs more than some brand-new cars to a $20 camera. It's like putting a Porsche engine and suspension on an original VW Bug. Oh, wait... somebody did that...

- Justin

Edit: Just noticed that's not the Holga with the Phase 1 back on it. Show's what I know... I'll see if I can find that again, just for the pure strangeness of it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Well if the original link wasn't enough, I bring you the Holganizer: http://www.holganizer.net/
    At least there was some nudity in the gallery so it wasn't a wasted click
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    At least there was some nudity in the gallery so it wasn't a wasted click
    Complete with fake film edge.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Holga PS Actions: the ad-

***Finally, we did it ! Fed up of getting small holganized pics ?
    Holganizer.com is proud to announce the official release of the Holganizer Actions for Adobe Photoshop™ CS !

The pack is composed of eight (8) scripts that will make your pictures look like as if they were shot with a Holga.
    Color, Cross-processing (Xpro), Black & white, and Sepia. Then you choose if you need lightleaks or not !
    By the way, it's working with horizontal, vertical, and square images.

The price ? only 20$... the price of a real Holga. But after that, you won't need to process your film rolls...***

Gee no more film processing, I'm sold!! ha ha
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Gee I must have missed them. I'm so sad.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Yeah I saw. Completely retarded

Personally if I'm going to be playing with an emulator, it's going to be for Super Mario Brothers, not Holga effects :rolleyes:
    Those who know, shoot film

I don't understand all of the energy constantly expended on this website bashing digital work. The real problem with most digital work is that the people aren't using it to its fullest extent, and are merely trying to replicate photographic effects.

If you look at the complete digital process as a workflow that ends in a print - then you need to exploit what is available digitally for expressive intent - and not as a means to merely replicate the analog / wet darkroom. The digital process can be a completely new way of working, and can be used to make prints that cannot be made in any other way.

However, I've seen few people approach the process as an integrated print making workflow - as opposed to a substitute for wet darkroom techniques.

I own a Holga - the Holga effect doesn't really look like what comes out of a Holga. In fact, the person would have been better off using a Lens Baby instead of software manipulations.

But, the crux of the bisquit on the photo is really that it was not orginally conceived as being a Holga-type photo - but was manipulated into one after the fact. In my opinion, the photo would be an equal failure if it was done in a wet darkroom instead of a computer. Lack of vision on the photographer's part cannot be made up through technique - no matter what workflow you choose.

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve, what you said, except-

I don't see it as bashing digital. I see it as bashing something truly stupid.

Clumsy aping.

I think if you are going to do something this stupid, you should be prepared for less couth persons, such as myself, to pour derision upon it.

Digital proponents are the ones who should be seriously embarrassed.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin