Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,129   Online: 1114

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

2007 Lomo World Congress Diary

http://congress.lomography.com/diary

Really cool images. Great organization too. Check out their website - clear, concise registration process and descriptions of workshops, events and seminars.

The above link is one to a diary of the past (this year's) event in London, UK. Lots of great images amongst the day to day written accounting of events and activities.

Folks from all over the world attend this event. Really diverse crowd - age, sex, race, religion, and camera brand too!

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the link Art. It really seems like the joy of photography is practiced by the participants. Here's a link to a searchable picture archive.

http://www.lomography.com/homesDeLuxe/
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Just curious, how much of an extended "ad" is this event for lomography.com? I'm intrigued by the whole toy camera thing (I've got a Holga), but the hype that lomography.com generates for certain cameras/processes (and their subsequent price increases on the cameras) turns me off - but I'm a little cynical by nature (eg, masquerading as enabling artistic expression, but in reality they just see a large market to exploit with large margins on cheap cameras)
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Just curious, how much of an extended "ad" is this event for lomography.com?
    There's no bones about it, this is part of Lomo's marketing strategy. It's no different than what many companies do in the corporate world and in the not-for-profit industry associations.

Now some folks might disagree philosophically (to be honest they have hate-ons) about Lomo going corporate and taking on such a blatantly capital path, particularly when their flagship camera - the Holga - represents everything that should be anti-corporate and to some degree anti-capital. I guess that's for another thread.

The way I see this; Lomo's strategy probably saved the Holga from some demise and is contributing in part to the survival of film. Again, one could argue there may be other strategies that might have achieved similar or same results, though I personally have my doubts. And there is always the argument, is this what a Holga is about? I dunno. It's what became.

Anyway, it's all good from my point of view.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 12-26-2007 at 03:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the Lomography thing just about the cameras they sell? I've a Fujipet which they dont sell and wondering if there'd be Fujipets in there too??

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lomo's a buy'emup type brand. Some of their stuff is toy cameras, some of it is just russian cameras which wouldn't be considered "toy" but that sort of definition of toy camera seems to vary widely from person to person. Michelle Bates mentions the Fujipet in her book of Plastic Cameras so I guess it might be considered a toy camera. They go for diana-type prices on ebay and I like the images I've seen from fujipets.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin