Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,064   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Diana camera -- getting film developed?

I just got a Diana+ camera for Christmas, and I'm really excited to see how my pictures will come out. I bought 5 rolls of 400 120m film, and I'm still on my first roll. I'd like to see how the first roll comes out before starting on the second 4 in case I'm doing something horribly wrong, or could somehow learn from my mistakes.

I really don't know much about photography and can't remember the last time I had to actually develop film. I live in Los Angeles, so I assume there are a ton of places to develop the film (can I get it developed anywhere you bring 35mm?). Is it cheaper to mail it in via some website? I would like to have the pictures on a CD.

Any information and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    try A & I in Hollywood:

http://www.aandi.com/

Phone: 323-856-5280

Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
    Saturday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m
    Sunday: Closed

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you bought B&W film, now is a good time to learn to process your own film.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Images
    Welcome.

Are you using color or BW.

Yes you can get the film scanned but it will not look very good. Low res scans blow. You should be able to get an idea of what the image will look like printed though. It will probably cost more. 120 film is not like 35mm most machines do not instantly pump out prints with it. You will most likely have to ask for them, and depending on the place this can get pretty darned expensive.

Also remember one of the draws with the diana cameras, like the holgas, is a unique artsy look. Don't expect super sharp pictures. It is a look.

The important thing is to have fun and get the feel of the camera.

Oh yeah. Most people here never knew a time when they did NOT have to develope their film. Welcome back to the analog side.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks for such quick replies!

I'm using color film and don't have any supplies (or knowledge) to develop my own film, but that sounds like an exciting prospect. Are there places where you can rent darkroom time? I'd enjoy that immensely.

Back when I used a camera with 35mm film, developing film was the most exciting thing in the world. Then digital cameras came along, and pictures started seeming...temporary. No big deal. In fact, I rarely even upload the pictures to my computer. I just glance at them on my camera, say "eh" and move on. The Diana camera makes photos seem like art again.

Thanks for the suggestion of A & I in Hollywood. I wanted to give them a call and find out how much it costs to develop a roll of 120 film, but it's Sunday so they're closed. Does anyone know about how much this will run me, ballpark? The rolls of film cost me about $3.50 each, I bought them online from B&H photo. I was hoping this new hobby wouldn't be too expensive but I'm afraid of what the final cost will be once I factor in developing.

Right now I'm taking photos using the 12 per roll setting, which means the pitures will be 5.2x5.2 cm instead of the 4.2x4.2 cm you get if you take 16 per roll. I think I'll try 16 pictures for the next roll.

Any advice from Diana users would be warmly received!
    Last edited by steph729; 01-20-2008 at 04:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: posted before i was finished

Shooter
    Multi Format
    here's the webpage for that...

http://www.aandi.com/film_pro2.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if you are a patient person, you can usually take 120 film to places like Walmart, Walgreens and CVS and use their "send out" service. Relatively inexpensive but there is a strong possibility that the quality might be less than someplace like A & I. Check the yellow pages and make some phone calls. Explain to them your situation and ask if they would develop and make only a proof sheet. Then if you like how some of them turn out, get the enlargement made.

If you decide to go the B&W route, then developing your own is going to be cheaper in the long run but you still need to be the patient type. Making proofsheets of B&W can be done with very little equipment. Once you want to start enlarging your prints, then it is a different story. But again, consult the yellow pages or perhaps local community art centers for darkroom spaces or if you need it, Darkroom-101. There are several people on Apug from the LA area (a large area to be sure) and maybe one of them wouldn't trip your creepy-alarm and could help you out in person...
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I don't know about the development, as I live in Denmark, Europe...

but I know about Diana's, and I also bought a Diana+ before christmas.

just a heads up - this is not a Diana camera.... more a HOLGA camera in a Diana disguise..

I was dissapointed, but that shouldn't keep you from having fun with your new camera.

If you get slightly addicted, then I suggest you search for a real Diana on the web...

you'll be surprised how big a difference there is..

Good Luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey steph729,

I get my 120 film developed at A&I Hollywood. I've also used the Icon LA. Both places are great and will deliver professional quality. Why I chose A&I over the Icon is beyond me as well!

I'm not sure where you can rent a dark room, but you can try asking some community colleges or universities in your area and see if they will allow you to use their dark rooms.

Have fun with film! I came from the digital world, and I can relate to what you're feeling right now. Photography has never been more fun!

Jason

Images
    Heck, if you get addicted I know where a box of Dianas are slowly being run over by dust. I keep meaning to liberate them and get them t people who can actually use them.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin