Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,427   Online: 798

Shooter
    35mm

Polaroid colourpak II to large format

I have an old edition (1995) of Amateur Photographer magazine (UK) which describes how a Polaroid Colourpak II was converted into a 5x4 camera for £5 (~$8) . The lens/shutter part was sawn off and attached to a home made body/back. This looks one of the most interesting DIY projects that I have seen and the resulting image looked OK but this was cheap magazine reproduction.

I am tempted to have a go myself but wonder what sort of quality one could expect from the early seventies 'mass consumer' type models (colourpak, Swinger etc). If all I am likely to end up with is a Holga type image then I may as well just buy a Holga!

L

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As far as I'm aware the type 80 size is smaller than 4x5 so you might well get holga-like vignetting but the lens might be quite good quality so it should be mostly sharp unlike a holga image.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    35mm
    Having researched this a little more, I think the achilles heel of the project is that the lens in a colourpak II and similar cameras is a fixed f9 aperture which is not going to give a decent depth of field in 5 x 4 format.

L

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin