Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,845   Online: 945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

On land cameras...

Now that Polaroid has gone out of business I've gotten interested in trying this whole 'instant film' thing. I'd be happy if I could find a pack film holder that would work with a Crown Graphic or similar, but I'm thinking that buying an older land camera made for pack film may be the better way to go.

What are your opinions of the 200 series cameras? I'm looking at the 250 and thinking that it looks like some kind of alien technology, which is exactly my kind of thing.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    A few months back I bought a 250 in great shape for about $30 from eBay, complete with close-up kit, and a flash bulb unit.

Using pack film is definitely a new experience - I've only put 1 pack through it so far, but it's been very interesting. My first pack was 667 (3000 ISO) - very deep blacks.

The only thing to watch out for is the battery - it was designed to take a 4.5v mercury battery which is not available anymore. I just taped 3 x 1.5v "N" batteries together end-to-end with the the leads in the right place, and it's fine - it even fits in the battery compartment.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As part of my small business, I convert the 100 to 450 models to take available batteries. For 3 volt models, I use two AAA's. For 4.5 volt models I use three N type batteries. As part of this conversion I install permanent battery holders. If you want to contact me, e-mail stephen.j.perry@att.net.
    Thanks
    Steve Perry

Shooter
    35mm
    Incidentally, I should point out that Fuji is still *in* the instant film business and makes very good pack film of their own
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I plan to try those as well, but I want to try Type 664.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Some of the older Polaroid packers have nice flipdown split-screen rangefinders. Possibly 250. Pretty sure 350 did too.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 4.5V battery is still available. The battery type was "531", sometimes known as "A19PX" and was an alkaline, not mercury. Some of the 900 series roll film cameras required a small 1.2V mercury battery for their exposure meters. Good reference site for Polaroid cameras is the Land List, here is the page on batteries : http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landbatt.htm

Googling for "531 battery" and you get lots and lots of sales hits. However the battery itself isn't particularly cheap. Last one I bought was through Freestyle Photo but only because I was ordering other stuff. You can get them cheaper.

Or you can do the modification and use three alkaline 1.5V batteries in series. AAA and N cells will work. You can find plastic N cell holders through distributors like Mouser (www.mouser.com) made by Keystone. Or you can solder the batteries directly. But work quickly and cleanly or you cook the electrolyte and just have a dead battery with a wire soldered to it. You can buy 9V battery clips and hack them apart to get the mating pieces you need. The black wire is the low potential (-) and the white wire will be the high potential (+).
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Well, I plan to try those as well, but I want to try Type 664.
    I don't know if you can still find any 664 or not. The Fuji FP100B is the same speed and works in the same film holder.

I saw a refurbished 250 go for pretty darn few bucks the other day on the auction site. If you really want to go the deluxe route, and have several hundred dollars to blow, you can get a 110A or 110B that's been converted to pack film. Expensive for sure but they are darn good cameras. Do a Google for Razzledog and see some examples.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, I've googled. That's what got me started on this whole thing. Razzle is a second step, I think. I want to make sure I like using the camera before I spend several hundred dollars on something. $40 or $50 is about my limit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To clarify, when I gave wire colors I should also have said these are based on the Model 100. YMMV.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin