Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,888   Online: 947

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    This is nice, but not likely. I hope I'm wrong.

Failing that, what would be nice is if Ilford or somebody would just source the type 55 film as sheets. Screw the pack and pods. That would be a film folks would buy. If I could have purchased it as just plain film, I would have.

I think that could actually happen. Where the hell did that film come from? Did Polaroid make it? Or did Big Yellow? Or someone else? Where was it coated? Are there master rolls left? These are questions really worth looking in to.
    You describe my sentiments Jason. I would love to get the N55 film alone. Who did make the film. My spider senses tell me that Kodak made the film but may be legally held to some kind of non-disclosure.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    Who did make the film. My spider senses tell me that Kodak made the film but may be legally held to some kind of non-disclosure.

From what I understand from reading the biography mentioned earlier, Kodak initially made the film then Polaroid coated their own.

Edwin Land didn't seem to be the type of person who would pay somebody to do something if he could do it himself.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    From what I understand from reading the biography mentioned earlier, Kodak initially made the film then Polaroid coated their own.

Edwin Land didn't seem to be the type of person who would pay somebody to do something if he could do it himself.

Steve.
    Well, who makes the film?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm
    Not to get off the subject here, but I just found a new product that combines the Zink printer and a digital camera in one.

http://zedomax.com/blog/2007/12/04/z...nter-together/

Now I'm no fan of digital, and I don't really like the looks of this one, but I'm afraid that its probably gonna be the kind of camera that Polaroid will endup replacing theirs with. I'm really surprised that they want to market that mini printer first instead of replacing their system with an all digital camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    I did a search on type 55. I couldn't find anything on who is the exact producer of 55, or whether the base product is still made. I did however find out that Kodak produced Polaroid's film from 1963 to 1969. I haven't been able to track down the exact year that 55 was put into production, but if it was within that time period I would assume that Kodak was the original producer. If so, then either Polaroid took it in house by 1970 or possibly Kodak produced the base product for them even after that. If either is true, than it probably doesn't exist in any form other than the final batch because Polaroid has abandoned all film and Kodak only produces a limited range.

Just a guess though. Maybe somebody else knows more about the product history.

CrystalClear

Shooter
    35mm
    I stand corrected on my earlier statement. Polaroid is planning on releasing a digital instant camera sometime after their printer. Both Fuji and IBM have patents listed as being digital instant cameras as well. Some of these patents go all the way back to the early 1980's.

Also, heres an interesting article I just ran across. Check it out.

http://www.popphoto.com/blogsandcolu...nt-camera.html
    Last edited by crystalclear; 05-04-2008 at 11:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a note about Fuji instant film. I read online yesterday that fuji is discontinuing fp-100b45, not the fp-100b though. People are getting concerned that fuji may pull out of the instant business too. There are no plans to sell fuji instax cameras in the US and they have no plans to produce any of polaroids products, and as I said before, they've already discontinued one of their own peel aparts. According to asian users though, theres no sign that fuji will cutback over there anytime soon. I'd say it'll just be a matter of paying more for shipping to get it from overseas. One of these days though, Hope somebodys got a plan!

CrystalClear

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin