Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,053   Posts: 1,561,227   Online: 1086

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    Isn't New Zealand closer to China than to U.S.?
    Then again my Italian cousins come to NYC and buy italian shoes..
    I get the feeling that most people that sell them here probably buy them from US vendors as our market is so small that there's pretty much no point in ordering a bulk order from the factory. Thus we have to pay US prices + shipping in small numbers + NZ mark up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    They are expensive because of the status factor. They are "cool". It is now cool to say that your pics happened by accident and luck, and have enough weight to be good based on some technical concern such as your use of a plastic camera. Some day soon, the opposite will be back en vogue.

If I happen to get a great shot with a Holga, Diana, or any other camera, I guess I have the option of proclaiming it, and maybe being cool. People will think I am so badddd ass because I shun technique.....

WHATEVER - I see it as a usable photographic tool in the art of printmaking. When you want something with a certain mood or look, there is nothing like them. $40 seems relatively cheap for the Diana, especially with the new features and the book that comes with it. The Holga at $35 seems cheap too. As long as you view them as a means to an end, and not simply as a CONSUMER PRODUCT judged on surface value alone, they are well worth the money, IMO.

The second someone mentions gear in an artist's statement, a red flag goes up for me, whether it be an overly technical obsession with gear, or a heavyhanded statement about the wonders of shooting without technique.

The only time plastic camera images work, IMO, is when the subject matter somehow relates conceptually to the fact that it is a "cheap toy"; when the camera is used to talk about or create pix making cultural commentary on ways in which a person might have used the camera in all seriousness before it became a cult icon. IMO, very good for a cheap suburban nostalgic mood.
    I wouldn't say the great Holga/Diana are result of luck or random. To me it seems like Holga/Diana Shooters know very well what the cameras can or cannot do. In some way it is more difficult to use the toys succesfully than normal cameras.
    As far as the "cult" thing I agree. If the Holga was made to better standards It wouldn't be the same. The lightleaks, vignetting, the DIY mods and selfdissasempling nature of it is part of what makes it what it is. Maybe this is why the Luobitell is not as popular, its to well made, to normal.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I get the feeling that most people that sell them here probably buy them from US vendors as our market is so small that there's pretty much no point in ordering a bulk order from the factory. Thus we have to pay US prices + shipping in small numbers + NZ mark up.
    Why not buy direct on eBay? That's what I did for much less than you are talking about.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I wouldn't say the great Holga/Diana are result of luck or random."

My point was that many of those who use them love to proclaim that it is!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Developed my first roll of film from my 75 cent Diana. They look great...though I was surprised that the negs are smaller than 2 1/4. I "wasted" 4 shots...I just rolled the film up after I exposed #12, not even paying attention to the fact that the numbers 13 thru 16 appeared in the little red window. The film was still drying when I left the darkroom -- I'll take a closer look at them tonight. Some light leaks along the edges of the film -- but nothing close to the actual images.

I have some old Tech Pan I might put thru it -- for some reason "Tech" and "plastic" together sounds like fun! And I agree with Kevin -- the blasted thing is so light that I might take it backpacking in couple of weeks along with the Rolleiflex.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Why are Dianas, holgas, etc so expensive? They honestly look like something you would get for popping a balloon at the fair. They most certainly aren't worth $25 for a Holga, or $50 for a Diana...
    They're just plastic...
    To recoup the costs associated with R & D ?

Please don't get me wrong-a Holga really is a crappily made camera.
    An original Diana is much much better made.
    But no one else is making anything like them.

Regarding: Luck, Chance, etc : I know people that DO shoot them like that AND send the film out to labs. God bless anything good that comes from that.
    Me: Often I walk around with my Holga, some filters, several films and a Sekonic 508 meter. Other times I walk around with my Holga and 2 dogs.
    The dogs work better.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's the profit that makes them expensive.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-20-2008 at 02:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What it boils down to is that the Holga is a study in imperfection. Personally, I find it very rewarding to walk around with the Holga and burn film, because it completely eliminates the 'technical' elements of making photographs. It helps me 'see' really well, it helps me focus on what's important, and what's important to me is not lens resolution, it is not how well the lens handles contrast, but it is how well the photograph conveys the inspiration and emotion I had in my system at the time I made the exposure. To me, calculating exposures, metering, thinking about rise, tilt, swing, and Scheimpflug principle is just complicating matters in connecting with the subject matter.
    Pinhole does the same for me, but it's more difficult, because with my ZeroImage camera there is no way to see what I will actually get.
    Don't get me wrong, though... I am able to have this rush of sensation using my Mamiya and Hasselblad cameras too. It's a completely different experience, and even though I enjoy myself, I frankly don't enjoy it as much. Call me weird...
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    It's all relative. Simply put, a Holga is the least expensive new medium format camera you can buy. It's probably less expensive than most used MF equipment. In fact, it's probably one of the cheapest cameras you can buy, period. You can blow as much as maybe $10 on a disposable, does $25 for a reusable MF camera seem like that much more? Think of all the ways you can blow $25 these days - a cheap meal, even going for coffee with a few friends, it's remarbkably easy to spend $25 on what seems like nothing. Then think about spending $25 on a remarkable little camera that has converted so many to film, brought so many others back to film, and has the potential to make you very happy with some unique, interesting and remarkable images.

You say it's too expensive, I say it's a bargain.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Think of how much it must cost to gas up the boat that brings a load of them from China.

(You're not paying for the camera, it's really about the packaging and delivery.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin