Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,650   Online: 893

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Why are they so expensive?

Why are Dianas, holgas, etc so expensive? They honestly look like something you would get for popping a balloon at the fair. They most certainly aren't worth $25 for a Holga, or $50 for a Diana.

They're just plastic. Am I missing something? Perhaps I should buy a few of the $1 35mm cameras at my dollar store, keep them for 20 years, and sell them as well?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They sell for so much because people are paying that much.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, that's right. It's because that's what people are prepared to pay. That's what happens when objects achieve cult status. I bought an original Diana recently, and am almost embarrassed to admit what I paid. But the Diana does have a certain "look" and that's what I wanted. I also bought a Casio VL-Tone (as used in the Trio song "Da Da Da") recently, and that now has a cult status, so you have to be prepared to pay what other people are prepared to pay.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I recently bought a Diana at the local thrift store -- for 75 cents, marked down from a dollar...

Actually have not used it yet -- shutter fires fine.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have thousands of dollars of Mamiya and Nikon equipment :-(

2 of my 4 favorite pictures I've ever taken are with a $20 Holga :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Price of equipment bares no effect on the finished results. It's all what you do with it. I love my Holga too, and I consider it my most successful camera. I'm not sure I agree that $20 for a Holga is expensive, especially since it's the only camera that I've broken even with after one print sale...
    I see all of these conversations about Holga, Diana, old folders, cheap pinhole cameras, etc... Most of the time there's both disappointment that the expensive equipment doesn't yield better results than it does, and amazement of how little a decent tool to make photographs can cost. It's like a golfer that blames his 'sticks' for a poor game. Just set lens contrast handling, resolution, sharpness aside for a while, and focus on what's important - subject matter. The less there is between photographer and a beautiful negative, the better it is imo. That to me is the benefit of the Holga and Diana cameras - it's so simple, there is no BS to distract and confuse me with what's important.
    One other (very important) aspect of using a Holga. It will most definitely make you a better printer, because it's f-ing difficult to print Holga negs sometimes. It's great practice.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would love to find a Diana or a Holga at a local thrift store. All I've found around here are the Time cameras that look like SLRs. Apparently the thrift store clerks think they are SLRs, because they price them at $10-20.

I have been seriously considering a Holga, but I am not willing to pay $25 for a plastic camera. What does the market say about me? Too bad, so sad, I guess :-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You think that's bad? Camera stores here sell Holgas for well over $100 ($65USD).

I'm so thankful my brother bought me one from the US.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I paid the $20 for a Holga on eBay, and I think it is worth what I paid. I don't understand people paying extra for models with camouflage painting ($45) or to have it inspected and re-flocked ($60). I use a $1 roll of electrical tape to hold it together, a folded receipt to keep the reel in tight and carry it almost everywhere. The true joys for me is the ability to carry it anywhere due to the light weight and the ability to show the camera does not make the photographer. I won a contest recently with one of my Holga shots, and the 2nd place winner was furious that my "POS" contraption placed higher than his $4000 digital setup.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just out of curiosity - why does it matter what the camera is made of if it can yield the results you want? I am grappling with that I have to confess. Please - seriously - why?
    - Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    I would love to find a Diana or a Holga at a local thrift store. All I've found around here are the Time cameras that look like SLRs. Apparently the thrift store clerks think they are SLRs, because they price them at $10-20.

I have been seriously considering a Holga, but I am not willing to pay $25 for a plastic camera. What does the market say about me? Too bad, so sad, I guess :-)
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin