Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,666   Online: 1023

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fuji Instax (Cameras and film)

Does anyone have any experience with these? A friend of mine is keen to get into instant photography, but not the peel-apart variety. Instax looks like direct substitute for the now defunct Polaroid 600 series. The cameras and film are available from megaperls, but I was wondering about people's opinions - viable alternative? does it work the same way? quality? I've never seen any prints from these cameras in person...

Any information is very much appreciated
    Last edited by Alex Bishop-Thorpe; 09-09-2008 at 07:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added a line of appreciation, APUG has helped me loads in the past without me even asking.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not as nice as sx-70. The instax cameras aren't quite as good, fixed focus, forced flash point&shoot things. They can be good for some things but I don't really like them so much as 600 film/sx-70 cameras. I don't know what your friend wants as far as images. This is all my experience with the Instax 100/200 larger format not the minis.
    Here's my pictures from the instax 100/200 camera (The 100 camera broke, not sure why, wouldn't turn on again) http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishies...k/tags/instax/ I basically only used it for sunset photos which came out nice but most other things it doesn't look so nice IMO.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Instax is based on the Kodak Instant Technology. Compared with Polaroid 600 film, Instax is sharper, slightly faster (ISO 800), has more saturated color (I think), and keep better in storage (I have some from 2004 that still looks great. Polaroid films start to develop orangey well before that).

The downside is that because of its Kodak lineage, it is exposed from the rear rather than the front. This makes it impossible to use in an SX-70 camera, even if it was cut to shape. The other downside is that there are no 'nice' cameras which can shoot Instax. The only cameras available are P&S fixed focus.

It seems like it might be possible to convert a Polaroid roll film camera to use Instax. It would take some machining skill to make it look nice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I should point out that there is an autofocus instax (wide) format camera, the 500 AF model, but it's in the hens teeth catagory. Very hard to find available to buy online.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    35mm

Instax in an SLR680

Actually, you *can* do this- you just can't eject it, and the pictures come out backwards. A little creative shuffling around inside a film change bag can produce some rather remarkable results:

https://picasaweb.google.com/closeen...DO0bCL9cvtgwE#

There's a frame of Impossible PX680 in there for comparison; all shot on the same day, in the same camera (though the Instax shots were transferred back into the Instax 200 for processing).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have the Fuji 210 and it is a very capable camera within it's limitations. I do not like the mini version as the photos are too small, but that is personal preference; some may be OK with that and the greater affordability. They are all P&S 800 ISO instant cams/films with decent optics and AF and convenience. Fun camera. Check the B&H ratings. eBay has good package deals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In short: superior film and crappy cameras compared to impossible/polaroid . And also there is no B&W instax film

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin