Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 778

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holga scratches

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    (again, this is the older model that didn't come with the fancy 6x6 mask)
    Mine is of that same vintage (if you will) as yours it seems. You might be able to get just the 6x6 mask - I was at one point some years ago - although I can't recall now where I found it. I got tired of the scratches after a while despite it being one of the Holga 'features'...

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    Mine is of that same vintage (if you will) as yours it seems. You might be able to get just the 6x6 mask - I was at one point some years ago - although I can't recall now where I found it. I got tired of the scratches after a while despite it being one of the Holga 'features'...

- Randy
    B&H lists the 6X6 masks alone - $3.99, but it looks like a special order. Calumet will sell you a new Holga N for 38.00, including 5 rolls of HP5+.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    $4 plus, what, standard $30 shipping rate from the US? Nah. I don't get much scratches on mine anyway since I made semi-floppy film gates of folded over electrical tape. I've not had a huge problem with scratches on the holga. The Valiant box camera, on the other hand, is a scratchdemon in an unassuming black box...
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Holga
    Lots of good tips here for using the Holga www.squarefrog.co.uk/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great resource page that last one.

I'm going to go the 'new foam' route that Heather is talking about, but modify it with my dad's secret weapon - teflon tape. That way the film doesn't stick to the foam, but still receives the pressure it needs.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm still confused as to how your film is coming in contact with the foam to cause the scratches. The foam should only ever be touching the backing paper, yes?
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The scratches are not from the foam.

The problem with the foam is that it comes off. And it's the substitute for the foam (loopy velcro on the film back, lightly pushing on the film to hold it flat) that caused the scratches. So I'm going back to what was there before the film got scratched, but in a modified version with some very slippery tape so that it doesn't come unglued again (while retaining the pressure on the film spool).

- Thomas

Shooter
    Holga

teflon tape

the tape used by plumbers?
    so how did you stick it down?
    did you place some foam then use another type of tape to keep the teflon in place. hope that makes sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pauliventi - the teflon tape is just like any other tape with an adhesive on it, and that sticks to the foam. The teflon is on the film side and is, as you know from frying pans and other things using the material, non-stick. You probably can't, and shouldn't, use plumber's tape for this. The teflon I'm talking about is fairly stiff.

It's funny you found this thread. I have actually made some headway in making the Holga workable again, with regard to the scratches, anyway. I took a very fine grit sandpaper and polished the edges of the film guide (the 6x6 mask), and then I took a small piece of hardwood and polished the soft plastic to a shine where the film rubs against the guide. This seems to have helped.
    The modifications have to be such that the film rolls up nicely without putting too much tension on the film, because if there's too much tension on the film as it goes through the transport, it rubs too hard against the film guide, and is more likely to scratch the film.
    Whatever you do - try it out before you use it too much.
    - Thomas

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh Lord, yeah, that velcro stuff is really tough, that's not a good solution at all. I'd think some sticky velvet from a crafts store would do better, but again you'd introduce a substance that can get gummy when hot.

To save those scratched negs, the scratch is not on the emulsion side, so that is good. How about trying some edwal, and failing that, I guess you can get an LVT done if you have a masterpiece you want to save.
    Last edited by keithwms; 02-26-2009 at 08:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin