Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,206   Online: 704

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not much of a Holga fan. Try a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye, instead. Most of them, but not all, will take a 120 spool in the supply side, just poke a short piece of plastic drinking straw in the spool's spindle slot to take up a little of the slack for the tiny 620 pins, and then you'll have to find a real 620 metal spool for the take up side.

80mm glass lens, f/16 at 1/25 sec. Choose you film based on that expose (PX125 pulled 2 on a sunny day), because you can't change it without disassembling the camera and messing around with it. (Hey, that part is like a Holga.)

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    I like it because its light, and fun to just throw in a bag or pocket. So it travels well. And, somehow, it takes some of my most interesting photos!
    Anne

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A friend of mine modified the front of the lens of his Holda to accept a very fancy lens hood. I could not understand why he did this since degradation of the image from lens flare is one of the primary charms of Holga images.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I like the images. It is one of the cameras I use for creating Krappy Kamera Competition images. Mine got packed and put in storage by mistake, so I bought a Diana + to replace it until it is rediscovered. I took it on a cruise with me recently (the Diana) and a fellow look at it an said he initially thought it was a Leica. Well, not exactly, but then I guess in the right hands . . . Bill Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't like Holga.
    It's an inferior plastic thingy, making lousy quality images.
    If I want a low quality machine, I would go for an old folder, at leats there's some style and charm on them.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love my Holga for a few reasons. Most importantly, I feel its incredibly healthy to use a camera without any bells and whistles and allows the photographer to concentrate on subject only. Like many other photographers, I tend to get caught up in the mechanics of photography and using the Holga is a big reminder that having the latest and greatest Zeiss/Leica/Schnieder whatever lens is only secondary to ones own vision.

I also find the Holga to be a great camera to pull out when you've only got a few moments to capture images. Sometimes I'll take out the Holga when I'm getting gas in the car or while I'm waiting for my wife to come outside when I pick her up from work. I have one in my desk drawer at work and its fun to use when I take a 15 minute break. I also have one sitting by my window to my 5th floor apartment and whenever an interesting bird or cat climbs on the fire escape i grab it and take a quick snap shot.

fun times!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like mine for pretty similar reasons to those already posted. The look of the print, the (sometimes) unpredictable nature of them. You can seal the light leaks differently every time and the same camera will give you a different look. It's inexpensiveness in light of drops or bumps is irrelevant to me as i'm a tad too careful with my equipment regardless.

It's just a fun camera to shoot with. When you just want to fart around and not worry about f-stops but have some unique snapshots of something, there's little better.
    Jim
    'It matters little how much equipment we use; it matters much that we be masters of all we do use.' - Sam Abell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't yet have one but I will either have one on Christmas morning, or I'll have it the next business day after Christmas (it's on my list, just waiting to see whether I get it as a gift or not before buying one).

Most MF cameras take such gorgeous photos that I suppose I want to mess with a camera that adds "character" to images in unpredictable ways. I also think it would be amazing fun to do one of my model shoots but with a Holga and all of my strobist gear. So everything is top notch, but with a crappy camera. If it turns out well, I can use it as fodder for those online debated with the d***tal fanboys to point out you don't need $5,000 worth of camera to take a decent photograph. If it doesn't turn out well, it's my own private shame.

I've seen too many accidental masterpieces from these cameras, though, to write them off without giving them a good try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't care too much for the imperfections that everybody likes.

Instead, I like the Holga because it's simple to use, has a wide-angle lens, is light, and is relatively small (when compared to lugging around a 35mm system with several lenses, tripod, filters... ugh). Plus, the 6x6 format is so much better for contact prints than those squinty 35mm doodads

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I like it because it is cheap and light and can make surprises.

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails record.jpg  
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like it for two reasons.
    1. All I have to think about is the picture I'd like to make. Just the Frame man, just the frame.
    2. I don't run to the computer and have to buy all the little add on's, lenses, all the issues that give me G.A.S.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin