Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,850   Online: 711

Thread: Polaroid 600SE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Polaroid 600SE

I'm not sure this is exactly a 'Toy Camera', but it is a Polaroid, so I figure this is the right group...

The sad news is that the research labs I used to work in are closing down (will the last industry to leave the UK please turn out the lights,) but the silver lining is one of my old colleagues - knowing I'm a camera nut - has rescued a Polaroid 600SE for me from the internal closing down sale.

I know pretty much nothing about this camera other than that I'm told it looks to be in good nick (those guys used to look after all their kit, so I believe this) and it has a Mamiya lens. I've had a look at the manual downloaded from the Polaroid website, and it's not desperately informative...

Does anyone know anything about this camera? In particular, I gather than the pack film holder and the lens (on the SE) are removable; any ideas what type of mounts they have, and if they're compatible with anything else (e.g. my RB67)? I also read somewhere that with 'appropriate adapters' 4x5 film holders could be attached; anyone know what an 'appropriate adapter' is? And could the supplied lenses actually project a large enough image circle for 4x5 anyway?!

Any information gratefully accepted...
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's an old Photo.net thread on adapters for the camera. I believe the adapter you need is designated as an "M" adapter for the Mamiya Press camera. A company named Four Designs sold these years ago and allowed 6x7 and I think, 6x9 Mamiya backs to fit the Polaroid 600SE. Probably hard to find now, but I picked one up from KEH many years ago so you might try there. Midwest Photo Exchange might be another place to check.

There's a slightly different model than the one I have currently on ebay. Mine is a horizontal format and the mounting tabs have a slot that mates with the 600 SE. Based on the Photo.net thread, you would need to make a slot in these tabs to use this style adapter. (Perhaps all Four Designs did was machine a slot in standard holders available at the time.)

Joe

Polybun
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    Here's an old Photo.net thread on adapters for the camera. I believe the adapter you need is designated as an "M" adapter for the Mamiya Press camera. A company named Four Designs sold these years ago and allowed 6x7 and I think, 6x9 Mamiya backs to fit the Polaroid 600SE. Probably hard to find now, but I picked one up from KEH many years ago so you might try there. Midwest Photo Exchange might be another place to check.

There's a slightly different model than the one I have currently on ebay. Mine is a horizontal format and the mounting tabs have a slot that mates with the 600 SE. Based on the Photo.net thread, you would need to make a slot in these tabs to use this style adapter. (Perhaps all Four Designs did was machine a slot in standard holders available at the time.)

Joe
    The mamiya film backs are VERY easy to find. So are the lenses. The only probablem you run into with the backs is that most of them are missing the masks for 6x6 and 6x4.5. The 6x7 and 6x9 backs came with masks for 6x6 and 6x4.5 and then you shot them using the ruby windows. Its a non issue if you just shoot them in 6x7 or 6x9, whichever the back is designed to be used for. The other problem is many of the backs are missing their dark slide. I've been making darkslides for my own backs. I use .007" shim stock and cut it to size. I would be happy to crank out a few for anyone that needs one.

The 600SE is really nothing more than a Mamiya Super 23. This is a good thing! The mamiya press camera lenses and accessories work on them! So what you have is a polaroid camera, that also makes a pretty decent medium format range finder!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As stated in the link posted by smieglitz, the 600SE does NOT take any of the Mamiya accessories or lenses. In their own infinite wisdom, the folks at Polaroid changed the attachment system just enough so that you have to buy an adapter to fit any of the regular Mamiya backs on the camera (the Four Designs adapted M adapter, mentioned above.) I don't know how you could cobble the lens mounts - perhaps by putting new cells in the shutter you have? The mounting system is, again, just different enough to not fit. These are indeed nice cameras, and with a little machine work or a purchased adapter, they can be flexible, but I just use mine with Fuji pack film and call it a day.

Polybun
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    As stated in the link posted by smieglitz, the 600SE does NOT take any of the Mamiya accessories or lenses. In their own infinite wisdom, the folks at Polaroid changed the attachment system just enough so that you have to buy an adapter to fit any of the regular Mamiya backs on the camera (the Four Designs adapted M adapter, mentioned above.) I don't know how you could cobble the lens mounts - perhaps by putting new cells in the shutter you have? The mounting system is, again, just different enough to not fit. These are indeed nice cameras, and with a little machine work or a purchased adapter, they can be flexible, but I just use mine with Fuji pack film and call it a day.
    Huh, i was told it was just a super 23. What a bummer. Does the adapter screw off of the body like it does on a universal or press?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Huh, i was told it was just a super 23. What a bummer. Does the adapter screw off of the body like it does on a universal or press?
    Sorry, haven't got the adapter and I don't know how it works. I just know the lenses and backs don't fit without an adapter of some sort.

Shooter
    Instant Films

I have the full 600 SE kit - in London !

Foregive me if this is breaking the rules. I am totally new around here and found the site as I am about to sell a 600 SE.

I have had the kit since the mid nineties.

I have a Polaroid back and a 6x9 roll film back.

I have the three lenses, 75, 127 and 155.

It is here, in Fulham, London.

My plan is to put it on eBay and offer it for sale in the UK and USA. At the moment I am simply doing research to learn more about what I have got. I am not a classic camera collector. I bought it to help with my film based photography, but don't use, or need, it now I work with digital.

I presume I can put up some pictures of the kit if anyone around here is interested.

Thanks in anticipation for any advice, or comments, that may be coming.

Tony
    London UK

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the 600se is not at all a mamiya 23. it's near to the mamiya universal, which is quite a difference. there are 2 websites which will tell you all about it. the one for the 600se is here:

http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=779.0

and the one which tells you the difference between the mamiya universal and the 600se is here:

http://moominsean.blogspot.com/2010/...oid-600se.html

read through it and come back if there are more questions.

reinhard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Lol, tonygamble. what a coincidence. I'm bidding on that right now. Im the guy asking for postage to Australia.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin