Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 669

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Check this gadget out: http://www.advancewith.us/kirlian-ph...phy/index.html

Regards, Art.
    What a coincidence, I found one of these things lying around in the darkroom where I teach last week, it was an older version in a wooden box not plastic. Now I know what it it's for. Not quite sure how you use it to take a picture of your hand without getting a high voltage shock though, anyone tried this technique?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveOttawa View Post
    Not quite sure how you use it to take a picture of your hand without getting a high voltage shock though, anyone tried this technique?

Actually it is useful to let the human hand act as counterelectrode.

Without a counterelectrode the current would run capacitively from the primary electrode and the isolator into the object, and from there the path for the current to reenter into the system via the ground is hard to imagine for an object lying on top of the isolator. For a hand it even could be harmful in the worst scenario.

However, with a counterelectrode the path of current is under controll. This counterelectrode is fixed to the object. In case of a hand, to the human body.

The Kirlian System uses not only high voltages (in the kV range), but also high frequencies (in the kHz range). Frequencies of that range are not harmful to the heart and nervous system. However there remains the thermal effect and a sensory effect. To counteract these, a protective resistor (in the MOhm range) is to be inserted into the counterelectrode wiring.

(I hope I got it right so far...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the mid 70's I took a workshop in Kirlian photography. We built a device that consisted a piezoelectric device like the igniter on a gas grill - if I remember correctly, that is exactly what it was. When the plunger is pushed a crystal is struck and creates a high voltage, high frequency, very low amperage electrical charge. the device is mounted to a board and connected to a piece of metal (about 5x7) also mounted on the board. To use the device one would place 4x5 film on the metal plate and an object on top of the film. One would then push the plunger one or more times to make the exposure. obviously, this is done in the dark or with ortho film under the appropriate safe light. I only used Tri-X. I still have the one I made and am pretty sure I even have the notes from the workshop. I haven't used it in maybe 30 years or so.

This device is a lot less sophisticated than the commercial model listed at the start of this thread and it operates at much lower power but, if you have an old grill that you can scrounge an igniter from, a scrap piece of wood, and a soda can that can be cut to form the metal plate, you can make one for free.
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ted serios
    Popular Photography descamed this scam artist a long time ago. Serios created images by laying his hands on the camera. Pop Photo gave him a camera with a 15mm lens on it -- he was expecting a 50 -- and got clear pictures of him palming a small slide viewer that he put against the camera lens to create his 'psychic images'.

It seems people still swallow this shite.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomDan View Post

This device is a lot less sophisticated than the commercial model listed at the start of this thread and it operates at much lower power but, if you have an old grill that you can scrounge an igniter from, a scrap piece of wood, and a soda can that can be cut to form the metal plate, you can make one for free.
    Actually, replacement igniters are about $12 at Lowes or Home Depot/ACE, etc. Last time I bought one was 8+ years ago but it went in a potato cannon.
    Thanks for the heads up though, I like the cheaper route!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Popular Photography descamed this scam artist a long time ago. Serios created images by laying his hands on the camera. Pop Photo gave him a camera with a 15mm lens on it -- he was expecting a 50 -- and got clear pictures of him palming a small slide viewer that he put against the camera lens to create his 'psychic images'.

It seems people still swallow this shite.
    scam or not a scam
    the images he created ( and his sons )
    are pretty cool just the same ...

not really swallowing anything, just interested in the imagery ..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomDan View Post
    In the mid 70's I took a workshop in Kirlian photography. We built a device that consisted a piezoelectric device like the igniter on a gas grill - if I remember correctly, that is exactly what it was. When the plunger is pushed a crystal is struck and creates a high voltage, high frequency, very low amperage electrical charge. the device is mounted to a board and connected to a piece of metal (about 5x7) also mounted on the board. To use the device one would place 4x5 film on the metal plate and an object on top of the film. One would then push the plunger one or more times to make the exposure. obviously, this is done in the dark or with ortho film under the appropriate safe light. I only used Tri-X. I still have the one I made and am pretty sure I even have the notes from the workshop. I haven't used it in maybe 30 years or so.

Thank you for this. I've been playing all evening with some ortho film. I bought a little handheld gas peizo lighter for my hobs so I'd stop using matches but the spark is at an awkward place so I stopped trying to use it. Now I've blu-tacked a bit of wire to it, blutacked the wire to a piece of brass sheet I have around so I can try to make pinholes... Has more than enough power for coins, only has enough power for a finger tip but you can do multiple exposures anyway. I'll post some scans of the ortho film once it's dried.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Thank you for this. I've been playing all evening with some ortho film. I bought a little handheld gas peizo lighter for my hobs so I'd stop using matches but the spark is at an awkward place so I stopped trying to use it. Now I've blu-tacked a bit of wire to it, blutacked the wire to a piece of brass sheet I have around so I can try to make pinholes... Has more than enough power for coins, only has enough power for a finger tip but you can do multiple exposures anyway. I'll post some scans of the ortho film once it's dried.
    You are welcome. I think you will find you can increase the power a bit by making a better connection. Rather than bluetack try wrapping the wire around a screw or bolt and nut through the metal plate. If you have the means, soldering it would be good. Pushing the plunger multiple times for the same exposure will also increase the effect. I remember doing coins and a finger when I used mine. I don't remember what else I used but believe I did do a leaf and the effect changed as the leaf got dryer.

I believe I still have my device, my workshop and work notes and prints. I will try to find them this weekend. If I find them (I actually think I know where they are) and I come up with any useful information, I will post it.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Art---great device--thanks for the heads up

Robert
    There are never any bad ideas just the lack of will to execute them..............

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll try to tighten up the connections. I can see some arcing along the wire so I might have damaged the wire a bit in places and it needs a good wrap of insulating tape. I was going to solder but my husband informed me that he didn't have a soldering iron after all (I thought I had seen it in the toolbox but apparently I imagined it).

I posted some of my results to the apug gallery. Just scans of the ortho litho film. Sometime I'll contact print them so they look more ghostly and glowing in the positive
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin