Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,467   Posts: 1,597,462   Online: 786

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    She is really excited to use this camera (and her spanking new N80... $42 in the box!!!) for her photography course starting in January.

Cheers, and ho ho ho...
    $42!! I just paid $120 to have mine fixed and CLA'd by Nikon. Oh well, I'll console myself with the thought that mine has sentimental value (1 Sentimental Value = $78). I'm sure she'll love it.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    36x36?? Do the negatives go from edge to edge then, including the sprocket holes?
    Yeah. Pretty neat. However, this is why I am interested in non perf. films for it. Apparently, they won't operate the click stop on the advance knob, but other than that, they should work ok. I am thinking about splitting some 70mm non perf film for the camera.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great review. Concise. Informative. Thanks.

This thread is an example why APUG should be considered and promoted as the premier resource for traditional film photography on the net. We really should have more threads like this on film cameras, on film products, on film processing, etc...

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [edit... didn't notice that the question had been answered... gotta learn to read on to the next page...]
    Yup, there are two masks, one 24x24 (I think... I'm not holding the camera right now) one 24x36, and without either mask, it fills the frame to 36x36, including the sprocket holes. As 2f/2f has said, loading the film is a little challenging the first couple of times, but eventually you get the hang of it. I've been trying to be a good dad and not monopolize my daughter's new toy, but I have worked with it a little bit. So far, I'm quite pleased, though I have not seen any pictures from it yet. I suppose that would be the real telling point, as any discussion of cameras is quite pointless if we don't consider the final images.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    $42!! I just paid $120 to have mine fixed and CLA'd by Nikon. Oh well, I'll console myself with the thought that mine has sentimental value (1 Sentimental Value = $78). I'm sure she'll love it.

No kidding! I think she got an amazing deal... and it was brand new. I've been using an N80 for the last four years, and I think it is a wonderful camera. For a "modern" 35mm, it is a pretty nice tool. It will never take the place of my medium format gear, but for 35mm, I'm very content.

cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Seems that trendy crowd are already catching on to this TLR and they are available on ebay with deep discount.

All the better! More people get used to the TLR way of seeing things and more films gets sold.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not to quibble TOO much; In my experience, once you get the hang of it, a Leica is quicker to load than a Nikon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tac View Post
    Not to quibble TOO much; In my experience, once you get the hang of it, a Leica is quicker to load than a Nikon.
    I am talking about a LEICA. Something like my IIIa and IIIc, not the posh new fangled models with the sissy door.

Though, to be fair, by saying "Nikon", you might actually mean a NIKON. Something like my F, which is a little bit closer to LEICA loading speed (and a lot harder to hold the door in your teeth than the bottom plate of a LEICA).

The Barnacks are pretty quick if you take the lens off and open the shutter on bulb, or, preferably, throw a business card over the sprockets.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-11-2009 at 01:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin