Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,255   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Identifying B&W film from Holga

I'm not having luck w/ the search, so I hope this isn't redundant. We recieved a roll of film from a customer yesterday with not identifying marks on it. 120 black wrap that simply said "120 Film". Black wrap suggested that it was B&W film. The customer asked that we process it the best we could figure out. Being that it had the black wrap and shot in a Holga, we processed B&W at 400 speed. It came out pretty nice and definitely usable (hard to tell always w/ the light leaks). This roll of film came with the camera (in the package) at time of purchase and was unmarked on the outside. After processing the only edge Numbers/markings are "SGPFF" Who know what this means or what film it may be?

Thank You,
    Jody

Shooter
    35mm
    Googling for "SGPFF edge code" comes back with this post, which indicates the film was JandC Pro 100.

JandC rebranded film. In more general searching, Pro 100 was known to have been made in China, and was most likely ERA 100 (as far as I can tell there is no 400 ISO film, only 100 ISO).

So, best guess, it's probably ERA 100.

Incidentally (and you may know this already - I believe you've indicated you work in a photo lab), if you're unsure of a B&W film and have the ability to do a 1-off in a standard daylight tank, you can always try stand development to develop any B&W film to completion. I've been trying this recently with great results using Rodinal 1+200, agitate first minute, let stand remainder of 2 hrs.
    Last edited by mabman; 01-15-2009 at 11:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure ERA 100 is not made in 120...

Shanghai would be my guess... see here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shanghai film is fairly easy to identify. The film base is very, very thin. Foma is also thin but the base is very bluish and Shanghai looks more normal.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by trotkiller View Post
    I'm sure ERA 100 is not made in 120...

Shanghai would be my guess... see here

You're right - I read somewhere they make 35mm, 4x5, and 8x10, so I just assumed 120 was a given

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's definitely not Foma, that blue base is unmistakable and we sell Foma, so we get quite a bit of it back. Trotkiller, that link is the ticket. It looked exactly like that. Black wrap w/ 120 film stamped on it. I have never shot it film and this would be the first time it was processed in our lab. I can tell you this, CURLY almost explains it. I was hung to dry with weight, I removed it and it popped up like Bozo's tie and nearly hit me in the face.

Thanks everyone. I will try to find some more info on this so we have correct times. If you happen to know this it would be appreciated. We process with Kodak RS when doing bulk, small batches are sometimes done with Sprint. Sprint's site doesn't have times. For that matter I would like to know Sprint's times for Rollei Retro for personal use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the handful of rolls I've shot, I've used times from the Massive Film Development Chart and they seem to be in the ballpark.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    For the handful of rolls I've shot, I've used times from the Massive Film Development Chart and they seem to be in the ballpark.
    I've never heard of it, but that is great. However, it doesn't list either. No times for Rollei in Sprint or Shanghai in Sprint and Kodak doesn't seem to be listed as a developer.

Never the less a very impressive list that i think i will have a use for, thank you,
    Jody

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On another look it does list Tmax RS, but the search says "Sorry, no records were found"

Shooter
    35mm
    Rollei Retro is a rebrand of the remaining Agfa APX emulsions, so you can use times for those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin