Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,609   Online: 1266

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    This evening I was walking down Eighth Street in the West Village on the way to pick up my son from daycare and saw the fantastic new Lomography boutique, which also looks like the new headquarters for www.lomography.com. Even if you're not into the whole Lomo/Holga/Diana thing, and you think these things are all too trendy and overpriced, it's really an encouraging sight to see a new shop like this in such a visible, high rent district. They've been open a month so far, and they have gallery space and plans for events and workshops. They sell a wide range of Lomos, Holgas, and Dianas, but they also have the Fuji Instax camera, film of various sorts, Lubitels, the Widepan medium format swing lens camera (a mechanical version of the medium format Noblex for $1000, which is better than the price I've seen for it on eBay), two new models of Horizont based on the 35mm Noblex, the Bulldog 4x5" kit from Camera Bellows UK, some other pinholes, various collectable Soviet rangefinder cameras, and lots of hipster type bags, portfolios, and Lomography gear, and most importantly, there were young people in the shop enthusiastic about the products.

The shop is at 41 W. 8th St. near the Christopher St. stop on the 1 train, and generally near NYU.
    Yeah, that's the value of lomography - turn people on to shooting film. Otherwise I'd rather buy an old $10 camera on ebay than a lomo-branded item of similar specs for $150
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Yeah, that's the value of lomography - turn people on to shooting film.
    I actually think they turn more people off to shooting film, then they start. The scenario goes like this.

1.)Digital shooter interested in trying out film
    2.)Digital shooter stumbles onto Lomography
    3.)Buys expensive camera
    4.)shoots a few rolls of medium format film in Diana +, or slide film in LC-A+ to cross process.
    5.)Has difficulty finding places to develop
    6.)Finds place to develop and scan.
    7.)Pays place to develop and scan big bucks
    8.)After a few rolls the thrill is gone, "shooting from the hip" with no thought gets old. Costs to buy film and then process get to expensive. Results are not what they wanted/expected, don't like waiting days or weeks to get film back
    9.)Goes back to shooting digital, never to shoot film again
    10.)Sells "near mint" Lomography camera on Ebay or Flickr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hah! I get better results from my 60+ year old Kodak Brownie Target Six-20 box camera. I have to respool 120 film onto a 620 spool, but I think my stuff is at least as good as some of the work coming out of those overpriced toys. I only paid $10 including shipping for my camera, cleaned it up and it works like a charm.
    Last edited by mhcfires; 03-11-2009 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eye_of_wally View Post
    I actually think they turn more people off to shooting film, then they start.
    Every pursuit has people who get started and lose interest. Billions of dollars of power tools have been sold to guys (and women) who've watched a few episodes of This Old House and then ran out and bought a garage worth of stuff that then gathers dust.

An important question is: where is the next generation of film users going to come from? High schools, colleges and even art schools have all killed their film photography programs. Where will young people learn about film and appreciate what it can do?

I feel that the Lomo/Holga thing has been fantastic for film photography, and that without it we would be in even worse shape than we are and have an even dimmer future. These cameras have generated a lot of interest with the younger generation and, most importantly, have inspired some really excellent work.

The Second Annual Juried Plastic Camera Exhibit is now hanging at the Rayko Photography Center in San Francisco. Not only does this show receive many, many more entries than anything else Rayko does, but opening night attracted (by a friend's estimate) ten times more people than a typical opening at Rayko. It was a big, young crowd and they were very enthusiastic about film. That can only be good for film.

Most important of all (to me), I found the work in the show to be inspiring. The range of creativity, imagination, and technical ability really blew me away.

If a few overpriced plastic cameras can do all that, I say keep 'em coming. Overprice them even more, if that's what it takes.
    Last edited by vdonovan; 03-11-2009 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    p.s. it's nice to see that they carry the Fuji Instax films, including the mini. Instax mini film can be purchased more cheaply from Japan and Hongkong via ebay, but it's nice to know someone in the US carries it in case I need some overnight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info! Wish I was in NY!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An important question is: where is the next generation of film users going to come from? High schools, colleges and even art schools have all killed their film photography programs. Where will young people learn about film and appreciate what it can do?
    APUG?
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post

I feel that the Lomo/Holga thing has been fantastic for film photography, and that without it we would be in even worse shape than we are and have an even dimmer future. These cameras have generated a lot of interest with the younger generation and, most importantly, have inspired some really excellent work.

You are making the very false assumption that "lomography" and shooting with Holgas, Dianas, and other lowfi toy cameras are one and the same. They are not. Holgas, Dianas, and even the LCA were around long before the boys in Vienna had anything to do with selling cameras.

I own 8 Holgs, 9 Dianas (or clones) an orginal Russian LCA, and a bunch of other vintage lowfi toys. I only have one camera that came from Lomography it is a Diana+ it was a Christmas gift from my wife who got it out of the Freestyle Photo Catalog. I find it to be a total piece of crap, and very poorly made for what it costs. I can get 2 or 3 Diana clones from ebay for what a Diana+ costs. My LCA came from my brother inlaw who got it on a business trip to Russia. They are quite easy to find there, He paid around $10 for it.

The next generation of film shooters will come from many sources, and if the future of film photography is in the hands of Lomgraphy then film is already dead. Shooting with toy cameras was around long before Lomography and if they went out of business tomorrow would still be around long after they are gone.

I for one do not see why so many people have this huge doom and gloom outlook on film photography. The future of film based photography is very bright. New films are coming onto the market, old film companies like Harmon/Ilford are being brought up from the ashes and are now stronger and more dedicated to the market then they ever were before.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eye_of_wally View Post
    You are making the very false assumption that "lomography" and shooting with Holgas, Dianas, and other lowfi toy cameras are one and the same. They are not. Holgas, Dianas, and even the LCA were around long before the boys in Vienna had anything to do with selling cameras.
    You are right that Lomo doesn't have a monopoly on low-fi photography. What is important is that they are aggressively, and successfully, marketing film photography to young people in a way that no one else is.

Ilford/Harman doesn't have the budget to open a boutique store in New York. Nor Fuji. I bet they are VERY happy that Lomo is doing it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin