Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 861

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the reminder of subclub 2F/2F, I reread that page and I think I now know where I went wrong. With perforated film the Auto 110 stops advancing the film when it encounters the perforation but allows you to complete the winding action to cock the shutter. Without the perforations (and I'll have to test this to be sure) it will continue winding the film for as long as you operate the lever, but after the usual two strokes the shutter will be cocked and can be fired. My original method worked, but actually made life harder than it needed to be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, Paul.

Your original method is the standard method for using perforated 16mm film. Like you said, the film stops advancing if a perforation is reached, so you have to put the lens cap on and go through three more perforations before shooting again.

I didn't mean to say that you were doing anything "incorrectly"; just that non-perfed film would not require you to do the lens cap dance.

Here is where the Sub Club guy talks about it:http://www.subclub.org/darkroom/roll110.htm.

"Your camera requires the 110 perforations for the shutter cocking. The perforations on 110 film are about 25mm apart while the perforations on 16mm films are about 8mm apart. If you use 16mm film, the cog in the 110 camera will catch the 16mm perforations and stop the film from advancing its full amount. You'll end up with overlapping images. To use the reloaded cassette, AFTER each exposure, you'll need to advance the film FOUR times instead of just once. You can use the numbers on the film counter as a guide. Specifically, take a picture. Advance the film. It will only advance 8mm and it will cock the shutter. Cover the lens of the camera and press the shutter release again. Advance the film again and repeat a total of three more times until the next number appears in the film counter. It's a nuisance, but it works. "
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The problem for me was that because it didn't stop winding I assumed that the shutter wasn't cocked. I'll keep using the single perf film as I have another 380' of Tri-X to go, plus 100' of Plus-X but will load it the other way up in the cassettes.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    i found a page on fujifilm's japan site which when translated says they stopped manufacturing super-g in 110 last fall and the last shipment will be made in sept 2009. did anyone ever confirm that kodak is done officially now as well? ferrania has also stopped according to frugal photographer...

Shooter
    35mm
    I suppose that 110 (and probably APS eventually) might soon go the way of 126 and disc...I guess that the few "snapshot" photographers who still use these sizes will probably give up when the films are no longer available in their local stores, they're not likely to start ordering films by mail as do we enthusiasts.

110 seems to have more-or-less disappeared from UK stores, though APS is still around. I've never used 110 seriously, though I still have a small stock of 126 for nostaligia! My wife still likes to slip the little APS camera in her handbag for "family" pics....she's a serious photographer like myself, (always borrowing my M/F kit), but, as she says, she at least then gets some real prints quickly ("the family will be grown-up before you get the prints done" ).

The problem when APS finishes will be mainly processing of remaining films...I can't think of an easy way of processing 24mm film.....at least 110 and 126 fit in standard tanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I need to shoot some APS just for fun. I guess it will be one of the last sub-35mm still formats aside from Minox.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin