Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,696   Online: 801

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

And just what the hell is APS?

Yeah, I know what APS is, but not really... Is it just like re-spooled 135 in a auto-loading cartridge? It's been a long time since I used an APS camera...

Is there any way to re-load/ load your own APS film? And how do I go about self-developing?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it's smaller than 35mm, has only one sprocket hole per frame, and as I understand it, has some magnetic coding to permit the cameras to record info on the film such as format and quantity of prints (not that all cameras do that, nor do all processors pay attention to the data). In short, it's probably one of the more tedious things to try to work with. We have two APS cameras in the Elph series here, but haven't done much with them lately.

DaveT

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Advanced Photo System was launched as a multilateral project by the major film and camera manufacturers. (Canon, Fuji, Kodak, Minolta, Nikon and seemingly Agfa)

The idea behind APS was

-) smaller format of 16.7 x 30.2mm (to achieve this a new range of emulsions was designed)

-) easier loading (drop-in)

-) automatically readible data on the film to steer the automated printer
    for the intended aspect-ratio of the print, for the lighting, for photographer data etc. (to achieve this a new base with added magnetic layer is used. Data is stored optically and electronically.)

-) a new form of storage (the processed film comes back in the original cartridge complete with index print)

-) some data on the cartridge

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I bought an Olympus mju i 75 Zoom weatherproof deluxe (or some similar permutation of all that, and there may have been "Turbo" and "GT" in there as well!) a little over a week ago. Two reasons for buying it were curiosity and cheapness (couple of quid at a car boot sale). I've yet to run a film through it. Like the OP, I wondered about reloading a cartridge, possibly with cut-down 35mm but I think it will be difficult/impossible because the cartridges don't look very user-friendly (the film stays in them even after processing) and think the perforations could be an issue - I'm guessing that the perfs tell the camera how far to advance the film. I put it in the same category as 126, 120 and Disc, ie an attempt to steal the bottom end of the 35mm market which, like the others, was doomed from the start because of various permutations of cost of processing, complexity, quality of end product and ultimately because, all said and done, 35mm is a pretty good cheap and cheerful all-rounder with an established following. I may leave mine in the car for occasional use on the basis that I won't shed many tears should it get nicked.

Steve

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what PE said on it:

http://www.apug.org/forums/736749-post21.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APS was indeed a cooperative venture, with development of various things parceled out to various manufacturers, but I think the slowness of bringing things about helped sabotage its future. There was a point where there was even a Nikon SLR for APS, but as far as I know, there was never a B&W film, and only one slide film available (and that had to mailed to Europe for processing which didn't excite the US market). The combination of few available emulsions and few serious cameras never got it past the casual amateur market.

I haven't used it much lately, but I own a Canon Elph Jr that is quite nice as a snapshot camera and is not much bigger than a pager.

DaveT

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There were even more than one APS SLR cameras. Camerapedia lists 9 of them:

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Category:APS_SLR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a pain in the neck unless you want machine prints! On the plus side, it was a convenient format for the occasional point-and-shoot snapshooter. Nice and small cameras, super-easy loading, and stores easily after processing, well protected from light and dust. If you want to make RA prints, proofsheets, etc., there are better options. The films are little cassettes with film somewhere in between 110 and 35mm. The film is designed to be processed, scanned, and printed, then rolled back up into the cassette and stowed. A picture is a picture, and you can still get the film some places, but it definitely was a short-lived format, and now, like 110, is nearing total death. Also like 110, it was an almost entirely point-and-shoot product, with most APS cameras being cheap or cheapish (with a few nicer options). The problem will be in the future when people want reprints but nobody has the proper lab equipment to make them. I have cracked the cassettes open and sleeved and printed pix for people before. With the market today, and films available, I would only use it instead of 35mm for conceptual reasons. Maybe doing a project about the digital transition and/or the death of film, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-30-2009 at 09:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I understood it (from a photo marketing professional at the time) APS was an attempt to revitalise the camera market because the 35mm market was saturated and sales had dwindled. It was also, cynics might say, an attempt to up the profits of film manufacturers by reducing the format size but keeping the price the same. I suggested to said professional that dig*tal would probably take over before APS managed a significant market penetration as APS didn't really offer any significant advantages. I think people soon realised that such "advantages" as panoramic prints were simply produced by cropping the negative and the quality was inevitably reduced. However, as with disc, the smaller format demanded higher quality films and that meant that 35mm gained similar improvements and so remained ahead of APS in terms of print quality.

Just my 2p worth. I never bought into APS anyway.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't load/reload, but I do developer. I have a couple of APS Elphs, and for some applications, I really like using one. I bought about a hundred Fuji and a few Kodak cartridges on EBAY. I have an old Yankee 35mm/120 tank that I use to develop the film in. C41 only of course. I had to modify the yankee spool to take the more narrow APS film. Works very good! Recently I found an old Nikkor plastic tank and its spool has also been modified to take APS. I store the developed and cut negatives in a 35mm print file.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin