Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,716   Online: 1166

Shooter
    Instant Films

My Entry into Film

Hey Everyone,

I'm new around here, but not new to photography. I did learn to develop a long time ago, but was never able to afford my own film camera, and once I had the money we were into the digital world, so most of my stuff has been done by digital camera.

However, I've recently developed a fascination for film, and specifically, old polaroid cameras. I bought a 350 and shot my first batch this past weekend (fun)! I have an SX-70 on it's way (it's already been converted to use 600 film).

You all seem like a great resource around, so I figured I post and introduce myself and hopefully be able to ask some tips in the future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Amy, welcome! You've found the right place!

Do be sure to check out the new Fuji instant films as well.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Hi Keith,

Actually, my first pack of film was Fuji FP-100C (and I've got 3000b on order). Obviously, I'd like to try some Polaroid pack film too, but I decided it was better to start with the cheaper alternative

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome Neighbor - if it's film you're about you've come to the right place.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Amy, welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of film. Great perdpective on the dock shot.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome,

If you shoot the Fuji....you will see no need to bother with the Polaroid brand film. Thats my Opinion anyway. The Fuji pack film is rather good. I pretty much stick with the B&W stuff as I am not much for the muted colors of instant film. And even then I only like the pull apart pack film...but again just me.

I shot a pack of FB100b just this weekend and I love it. If you like the 350 and you decide you will really like to keep shooting instant film, you will want to look into a Polaroid 185 or 195. They are fully manual and have much nicer lens. The lens on the 195 is a little faster but some say the 185 is slightly better quality. The 195 does have the cheap polaroid rangefinder so I took the Zeiss find from a 250 and put it on my 195 and changed the back because I did not want the timer. Makes for a slimer better looking camera.

The only problem is that they cost much more than the automatic Land cameras because folks want to have that control over aperture and shutter. I got a 250 and 100 for about $10 each. My 195 cost me nearly $400....but it was nearly perfect.

Jason

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Thanks for the input Jason! I really did my research and tried to find the balance between spending too much money to start off, but getting the "better quality" Polaroids. I bought the 101 before I realized the differences (I actually haven't received it yet but paid only about $10). I then bought a 350 in VERY good condition for about $20 after realizing I'd prefer the rangefinder/viewfinder in one window. I know the 180 and 195 will be desirable, but I didn't want to spend that money (yet, hehe). I gotta say, I'm comfortable with rangefinder style focusing (and actually prefer it), so it was cool to me that's what is utilized in these old land cameras.

As for integral film types, the SX-70 I bought has already been converted for 600 film (which I'll have to stock up on), but the SX-70 seemed to offer the most flexibility in focus control from the integral type cameras. I probably spent more on it than I should have, but figured it was good it's already been converted for 600, and it's supposedly been electronically converted. We shall see

The Konica Instand Press looks pretty neat too... but wow, that's a pricey little beast!

I've been reading more about Polaroid backs too (while overpriced, the Diana+ seemed kinda cool)... any thoughts on those from anyone? It seems there are some really high-end ones in the medium format world (which is totally foreign to me)...

(sorry about the broken picture in my first post - I had to reorganize my photos on my site - here it is so you can see it now)

Last edited by DRabbit; 03-31-2009 at 12:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin