Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,725   Online: 800

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

4x5 Polaroid back and Fuji film compatibility?

Well, I've been looking at other people's results, and my GAS has driven me to the point of Polaroid-Back acquisition. The question is, what is the best back to get, and what film is the most likely to stay in production, and will they work with each other?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    search fuji instant film holder
    or fuji PA-145
    this comes up quite a bit
    fuji pa-145 or polaroid 550 is the only way to go but the holders are rare and $$$$$ compared to a year ago. Only fuji makes film compatible for them.
    check freestylephoto.biz, search instant film. fuji's site has some info but they really oughta write an explanation of what options are available.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

And of note, Fuji instant films are NOT accepted by the DSD Polaroid film holder.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    why exactly does fuji not just make a sheet film product. They already make quickloads.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    just to clarify, the Fuji PA-145 fits 4x5 cameras, but takes the smaller 600 series pack films (like 669 or FP-100C). the PA-45 fits 4x5 cameras and takes the 4x5 pack films (like 559 or FP-100C45). there's also a Polaroid equivalent of the PA-145, the 405.

Fuji is still making both sizes of pack films, and being the only game in town (at the moment), are unlikely to cease production.
    --------------------
    kerry mcclain
    www.kerrymcclain.com
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Fuji pack films work exceedingly well in the appropriate Polaroid pack-film backs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    why exactly does fuji not just make a sheet film product. They already make quickloads.

My opinion, I think it is because the pack-films serve the same purpose, work very well, and are less costly per-exposure than the individual sheet films formerly made by Polaroid. With declining film sales most manufacturers who continue to make film products are reducing the variety they produce to save costs and continue to operate at a profit. Fuji makes a color and several b/w instant pack films, the only thing they don't make is a P/N film like the old type 55. They make both sizes of pack films. I applaud them for continuing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wait, to clarify, If I get the Polaroid 405 holder, then it will let me use single sheets and will work with Fuji Instant films?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Wait, to clarify, If I get the Polaroid 405 holder, then it will let me use single sheets and will work with Fuji Instant films?
    Nope, it will let you use pack films from Fuji. There are no more single sheet instant films.

Edit: 4X5 pack films by Fuji. There is also a Fuji holder to do the smaller packs which are WAY cheaper, so for proofing, might be a viable option.

Edit again, the Polaroid 550 holds the 4X5 packs, the Polaroid 405 holds the smaller packs. Depends on whether you want to use the larger and much more expensive 4X5 film, or the smaller 600 series compatible films to save some money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Is there a Fuji film to fit a Polaroid 500 back? I take it that the 545 backs are now useless??
    Last edited by EASmithV; 06-08-2009 at 05:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin