Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,401   Online: 895

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Olympus trip 35 broken meter

I have a Olympus trip 35 with a broken meter. Shutter is still working and I would like to use it.

As I understand, drug store disposable are basically single shutter speed camera with a f8 lens. Loaded with iso 400 film, and are meant to be used in good daylight. Apart from that, exposure is compensated at the printing stage where the minilab automatic machine compensate for the overexposure.

So can I just use the trip with iso 400 film, set the aperture to around f8, and just snap away in daylight, and let the minlab do the rest?

In otherwords, a metal re-loadable disposable with a superb tessar type lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The manual shutter speeed on a Trip is 1/40 sec and that is the speed you'll get if you take it off Auto. Given a simple meter like a Weston, you can be battery-free to shoot the world at 1/40 only! And if you choose 400 iso film, you can always reduce it with an ND filter to bring it into the 1/40 range on a sunny day.

Shooter
    Holga
    Check out this page, you might be able to fix it. http://www.thermojetstove.com/Trip35/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also a fix where you pin the shutter speed selector to allow only the 1/200 shutter speed to come into play. Then the adjustable aperture and high speed film make this a formidable street shooter, even with a dead meter.

I would lay odds it is a pooped out selemium cell, and that the meter movement is working fine.

I have a pair of this camera. The first one went wonky, and before I could get around to fixing it, there was it's twin at the camera show, bought for a whole $5.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Mike Wilde said.
    I can't find the link right now but I did a similar tinkering.Easy as pie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.kpraslowicz.com/technique...-modification/ - newer than the one that I originally saw, but the same idea.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin