Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,212   Online: 864

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Fuji FP-100C Instant Film - Developing Time

I was playing around with my first "roll" of film in my new Holaroid this weekend and a lot of the pictures came out darker then I had expected.

I was shooting in mostly direct sunlight since its only 100 speed film.

Maybe I wasn't allowing the film to develop long enough?

I was going by the chart on the back of the film box. It was pretty warm outside so I went with 90 seconds dev time.

any thoughts?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    90 Seconds should've been fine.

How did you meter the scene?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon D. View Post
    90 Seconds should've been fine.

How did you meter the scene?
    I was just winging it, trying to use my best judgement of what had enough light.

I have a few pictures where the main object is well lit but everything directly behind it goes very dark almost blending into the vignietting.

I guess 100 speed film is way more sensitive then I thought it was going to be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been useing the B&W film for a while and found it to have very narrow exposure latitude. But never really tested. Last week had some in my RB67 and was playing around with different exposures. I quickly realized just how narrow it was. I found that with FP-100b, I only had about 1/2 stop over or under to play with. With film or digital, I can meter the skin of a subject and increase exposure by one stop (zone VI) and it would be perfect. With the Fuji instant, the skin would wash out. +1/2 stop was about right. When I tried to place a highlight into zone VII (two stops above meter reading) the entire scene was blown out. I am just learning to use the Zone system so had never used that with the instant film before. Before I used sunny 16 rule (it does work with it) and what I call "open shade 4" rule and did pretty good. That or I took a incidental reading.

With that I was amazed that I got the expsure right as often as I did when not useing a meter. I was even a little frustrated when the exposure was little off when I did use a meter. Now I know why! During the "testing" last week, I was afraid that the shutter was draging on my beloved RB67, and causeing the overexposure. After moving the film to my 195 and getting the exact same result I knew the camera was OK. So I tried my 40D and that showed the reading from the meter was also correct by the histogram. A little more checking brought me to my conclusion noted above. 1/2 a stop is about all you got with the B&W stuff, dont know about the color, but it can't be to different in that regard.

Jason
    Last edited by jasonhall; 06-08-2009 at 01:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

NW Wisconsin hard by the shore of Lake Superior
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use Fred Parkers Ultimate Exposure Guide and had the same experience with the FP-100c. I thought it had something to do with the instant films have different exposure requirements than conventional film. Just for giggles & grins I held off on peeling the film apart for about 15 minutes and shazam!!!! Almost perfectly exposed pictures, turns out I was peeling too soon. Now I shoot as many pictures as I want and peel later and have had great results.

John
    Never met a camera I didn't like...
    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/j9fingers/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    i am somewhat late on replying to this thread...but fuji pack film/peel apart film is self terminating. you can almost always wait hours after an exposure before peeling it apart. though yes there is a minimum "cook" time of 180seconds for fuji-fp100c and the 15seconds for fp-3000b.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin