Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,355   Online: 780

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So now I have this piece of...

Holga. 120S

Bought one on a lark. Has the box but the 137 page users manual seems to be missing.

One aperture f8. What's the shutter speed? B? What is the stupid switch right behind the lens with unintelligent symbols in either position?

I am amazed at the build quality of this camera. Mattel does better. Much better.

Thanks for your help.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tim,
    Welcome to the world of the Crappy Camera. If you approach this as an adventure and with an open mind, you may (or may not, depending on your personal aesthetic) find that they make some pretty cool images. I assume you're joking about a 137 page manual. I can't imagine there being that much to explain...
    If you get your Holga from Holgamods.com, you actually get two apertures (f8 and f11), along with a couple of other helpful mods. The website is cool to browse as well.
    You're right, the build quality is not great. Light leaks are just one of the things that can go wrong (or right) with these cameras.
    The freestyle link is good for a complete explanation of using the camera.
    Michelle Bates has a good book on plastic cameras that I can recommend.
    Good luck and have fun,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Holga. 120S

One aperture f8. What's the shutter speed? B? What is the stupid switch right behind the lens with unintelligent symbols in either position?

I am amazed at the build quality of this camera. Mattel does better. Much better.

I KNOW!!! ITS Great, ain't it!!!

So you were surprised? what did you expect? Did you read up on them at all before buying?

Jason

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh and you forgot to mention that photo quality plastic lens that some folks like to melt with a lighter to make it even more cool.

I got one too, but I already knew what to expect. I shot three rolls with it, one I let my 4 year old do most of it. I started to throw it into a yard sale this past weekend, but I decided to keep it for my son to mess with in a year or two.

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, it ain't the camera, but rather the photographer who creates the image. Enjoy using the tool. Check out the images in the Krappy Kamera Competition at sohophoto.com. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Give it a chance, and that Holga will surprise the heck out of you with what it can do. And BTW, crappy construction is not a liability, it's a virtue in the Holga's case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhead View Post
    Give it a chance, and that Holga will surprise the heck out of you with what it can do. And BTW, crappy construction is not a liability, it's a virtue in the Holga's case.

So to run this thing at 6x6, I just pull out the 645 mask and somehow move the red window slider to the 6x6 position?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    So to run this thing at 6x6, I just pull out the 645 mask and somehow move the red window slider to the 6x6 position?

tim in san jose
    Yes and yes...move the slider so the arrow points at "12".

Jason

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin