Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,314   Posts: 1,536,687   Online: 909

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enjoy mine. It reminds me to keep things simple and to remember that the camera is only part of what makes a successful image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got 3 of them and use them when the mood suits me. One is original with no modifications except to light proof it. (I'm not into the same light leaks showing on every frame) The second I removed the stop on the focus ring to allow for closer focusing, being carefull not to screw it right off the body and also enlarged the aperture.

The third one I removed the shutter spring mechanism to be able to use for long night exposures or day exposures using a neutral density filter.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Holga is a great camera, most of my favourite image taken in the past few years have been taken with the Holga. I also like to print from the Holga negs as they print beautifully. It,s a quality photographic tool that does not work with every subject but when you find the right subject it creates magic.
    always been happy with Neopan 400 but will have to try the 3200 films soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by monosnaps View Post
    The Holga is a great camera, most of my favourite image taken in the past few years have been taken with the Holga. I also like to print from the Holga negs as they print beautifully. It,s a quality photographic tool that does not work with every subject but when you find the right subject it creates magic.
    always been happy with Neopan 400 but will have to try the 3200 films soon.
    Hey, monosnaps,

Checked out your site: really great images! (Wish I could do that!)

Shooter
    35mm
    What I liked so much about the Holga philosophy is that one doesn't need an expensive camera to take good photos. You just need a good eye and a buck fifty for film and a thrift store camera. Unfortunately, now that Holgas are going for $60 at my local photo store, the Holga philosophy seems to have undermined itself. People are paying a premium to make it look like they used cheap equipment. It's like those kids that spend hundreds of dollars at Urban Outfitters to make it look like they shopped at a thrift store (unsurprisingly, these same kids really love Holgas). Anyway, for me, all of this really takes away from what made the toy camera movement so great. The good news is, there are still many other cheap options that aren't as expensive as Holgas.

Also, I don't mean to insult anyone here. I still really love good Holga pictures. It's just that as the toy cameras get more expensive, the whole philosophy begins to lose its charm, imho.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Why fret when you can get a Holga so (comparatively) cheaply at Freestyle, B&H, etc.?

Shooter
    35mm
    Very true. You can get them fairly cheaply online, but even at $28 + s/h it's still not in quite the same spirit as the $5 salvation army camera. But as I said, I still really like good Holga photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got a Holga lens for $8 and mated it up to a body cap for my Minolta X-370 and X-9. Why buy a new format (120) when I can make due with 35mm and develop and scan at home?

Shooter
    Holga
    Quote Originally Posted by McFortner View Post
    I just got a Holga lens for $8 and mated it up to a body cap for my Minolta X-370 and X-9. Why buy a new format (120) when I can make due with 35mm and develop and scan at home?
    When using 35mm film, you are losing most of the Holga lens goodness. The magic happens at the edges of the 120 sized film

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by cgmoyer View Post
    When using 35mm film, you are losing most of the Holga lens goodness. The magic happens at the edges of the 120 sized film
    Agreed. You lose almost all of the vignetting and the light leaks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin